New MBA 13" Ultimate Question on iTunes

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Wicked1, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok, so I am dumping all my other systems as I just ordered a new MBA with the 2.13 and 4 GB as well as the 256 Flash.

I currently have all of my iTunes stuff on my mini which I will want to move to the MBA however my library is going to have to move to an external USB drive since the 256 minus whatever space is used by the system is not nearly enough. Has anyone moved their library to external storage, and how does that seem to work out.

Also is it worth getting the AppleCare for a MBA, I did not have it on my other systems and I baby them, but then again the MBA is nearly $2,000, so would it be worth it?

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

I've always moved my iTunes library around to and from an external, never had a problem. As for the AppleCare, your purchase comes with a one-year warranty. It is extendable at any time within the year. Plenty of time to think about it but it should be a no brainer imo.

3. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I have MacBook's iTunes library on an external and it's been there for a few months now. I hooked it up to a USB hub on my Airport extreme router, (along with a Time Machine disk and a printer) and it's been working great. I have MobileMe so I can access the files through the Finder wherever i am, and I'm pretty sure this can be done without MM as well. Unfortunately iTunes doesnt recognize it when I'm away from my home network, even though it's right there in the Finder, and that's my only problem with the setup. Other than that it's great and a wireless setup like this would probably be an even better compliment for a machine like the Air. That's what I'm planning on doing when I get my air in a few months.

As for AppleCare, I would very strongly recommend it, especially the higher you go with your Mac price-wise. I've had it with my MacBook for the three years I've had it and it's paid for itself many times over. Granted, a machine like the Air, with its small amount of moving parts, would probably require less maintenance than a MacBook, but that doesn't totally rule out the possibility of problems down the road. If it were me I'd definitely want to keep my almost-$2000 machine covered, you never know! Ups the resale value too.

4. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

i'm amazed when people don't account for tax. it counts like take home pay.

which makes my macbook $2000 :D not cheap, but so cool

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

No sales tax in Oregon! :D

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, but the downside is that your income taxes make New York look cheap!

To the OP, as far as AppleCare is concerned, note you do have a 1 year warranty, and most problems with electronics show up in the first year. Apple sells AppleCare to make money. Warranties are high margin items.

7. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

I thought about dropping the extra money the larger SSD or going external, but I opted to just delete all the music I did not listen too, and convert everything to 192 instead of 320. If your talking about video, yeah by all my means I use external drives, they work great playing movies off them!

8. aleni macrumors 68020

i never listened my music from a good or expensive speakers. i listen through my laptop speaker, or when i'm listening on iphone, i use the iphone's speaker, never use a headphones.

so when i purchase musics from iTunes store, i always convert them to 128kbps AAC and put the original file in my backup external disk.

never heard any difference in sound quality this far with 128kbps AAC.

so that makes i only got 8GB of music, and that fits on my 11" MBA with only 64GB SSD. and home sharing is very useful, it's set automatically copy songs when i purchase it from my Macbook Pro.