New MBA 2012!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MagicThief83, Jul 21, 2012.

1. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

I've been quietly following Mac Rumors for sometime and had my sights set on the iMac, but given the delayed refresh, I instead opted for a 2012 11" MBA with an i7 2.0 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM, and 256GB SSD...and I LOVE IT!!! I love the compactness of the device and OSX is far superior to Windows! I should've come over along time ago. Anyway, I am really enjoying the ride so far and am learning the ins and outs of OSX. I may also pick up a 2012 iMac if and when they are released. Thanks to everyone here who has offered nothing but great advice in helping me make the transition.

2. uniforms macrumors regular

Congratulations! You will love the koolaide. I mean air! All kidding aside, the 11" air is one of the best laptops you can buy. It's peppy, light weight to take everywhere. I love mine. Now if it only had retina. Enjoy. You may want to get a thunderbolt display instead of an IMac. It's a great combo with your air.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Welcome to the forums. That is a really nice machine you purchased. :)

4. Retina MacBook macrumors regular

So, what are you doing with it? Any intensive task? Maybe Final Cut, Aperture, Adobe Master Collection, Gaming?

How does it handle intensive tasks?

Do you think the screen is too small?

Is the trackpad too small for gestures?

How is it overall?

Sorry for asking a ton of questions. Mine is delayed in shipping, and I can't wait to see what it will do.

5. ivnj macrumors 65816

I though they only had 2gb and 4gb ram. When did they make a 8gb model?? And how much did you pay?? And was it new or refurbished??

6. kolz macrumors member

i got the exact spec as well, and the feeling is mutual :D SSD blew my old mbp out of the water, and couldn't be more than happy to have a ultra book that goes zero to wifi in less than ten seconds.

7. Retina MacBook macrumors regular

I bought a 3.2 GHz Iby bridge model, 8 GB RAM. $1350.

8. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Starting this year, all Airs have 4GB of RAM as base, and an extra $100 will give you 8GB.

9. MagicThief83 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing too crazy really, reading email, just downloading apps, surfing the web, I installed Windows 8 release preview via bootcamp which went smoothly and Diablo 3 seems to run well in bootcamp on the MacBook Air. At first to be honest, I kinda thought the 11" might be too small...but it grows on you and now I think it's perfect and am glad I didn't opt for the it's larger brother. Everything runs well so far and the Air is super fast! The only hang ups I had were in Windows because of a bad driver I installed (now I see why I left! :D) and OSX froze one time because of an external mouse I was using. Other than that, everything else has been pretty much flawless and the 11" Air can do everything as well as its older brother.