Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I recently had a max-spec of the one that was just released prior to this new one that just got released this month. Did they just update the processors in them or much more? I dunno if its marketing but from the stuff I read about it is it seems like the it has faster flash storage? and better Wi-Fi. Could some of you gimme a run down of exactly whats new in this most recent update from the previous model?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You hit on most of it. A new chipset that gives much better battery life, faster AC wifi, and a faster PCIe SSD. Here is a good review that goes over everything.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
The only "Apple" improvements are a slightly larger battery and dual mics.

Basically the improvements in this gen are all thanks to Intel's new architecture and Samsung's new SSDs. Both pretty great improvements, mind you.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Ahhh I see. So its the new chipset making for the improved WiFi ? The new SSD's sounds quite interesting as these things are already quite fast as it sits (judging from my previous, and my previous before that) so I can just imagine this one blows it away if so.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ahhh I see. So its the new chipset making for the improved WiFi ? The new SSD's sounds quite interesting as these things are already quite fast as it sits (judging from my previous, and my previous before that) so I can just imagine this one blows it away if so.

Nope... separate new chip from Broadcom.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
This is in the CPU but you're not far off.

Not really. The GPU while connected to the CPU die, still runs as a separate entity. They both turbo at different rates. To imply it is "in the CPU" would imply that the CPU is driving the graphics when technically the GPU is completely separate transistors from the CPU, that just happen to reside on the same package.

Two people live in separate units of a duplex, you wouldn't consider one living in the others house would you? No. They each live in their own unit, they just share a roof.

Kevbodian

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2005
Not really. The GPU while connected to the CPU die, still runs as a separate entity. They both turbo at different rates. To imply it is "in the CPU" would imply that the CPU is driving the graphics when technically the GPU is completely separate transistors from the CPU, that just happen to reside on the same package.

Two people live in separate units of a duplex, you wouldn't consider one living in the others house would you? No. They each live in their own unit, they just share a roof.

Again, it's in the CPU. I wasn't wrong. Shall I say, it's in the same building? lol... IGPs used to be separate altogether. But if you wan't to try to prove you're so knowledgeable go right on ahead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.