New MBA and CrashPlan

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mac Elvis, May 23, 2012.

1. Mac Elvis macrumors newbie

Hi, just received my refurb MBA and have copied across my iTunes Library from my Windows PC. I've now decided to start using a Cloud Service as back up to the backup and have taken advantage of the CrashPlan free trial. Due to my Broadband connection its stating that it will take around 10 days to upload around 30gb of data.

1. Will Crashplan still upload the data when the MBA is in sleep mode i.e lid closed.
    2. By default and once the data is uploaded it wants to check and backup any new files at 3am every morning. Again will this actually work if the MBA is in sleep mode?

Newbie questions, sorry

2. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Simple Answer: NO

reason: because when you close the lid the laptop will go to sleep, disconnecting the active wifi connection hence leaving your upload as is prior to closing the lid.

3. Mac Elvis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, its gonna take some time :rolleyes:

What would you recommend it terms of backing up automatically if its never going to work at 3am, the default backup time?

4. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Why not use an external hard drive, SD card or Time Capsule with Time Machine instead? Time Machine is an awesome backup solution that is built into OS X.

5. Mac Elvis thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm already using external back up and I'm planning on getting a time capsule too but I want something as back up to the backup in case of fire/flood/theft.

6. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Ya as he said....also you can consider this: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H8683ZM/A....or Get a USB 2.0 Enclosure and buy your self a SSD and pop it in...You will get easily 60MB/s read/write speed via the USB because 480mbps = ~60MB which is almost the speed of the internal standard hard disk drives but via USB they only get around 20-30MB/s....I'm pretty sure the SSD will be able to utilize much faster Read/Write speeds via USB 2.0 compared to a standard HDD. I am thinking of getting one of the products my self because I need to carry around good amount of data so thinking of getting the 256GB Crucial M4 and popping it into a Enclosure or buying the Seagate Thunderbolt 1TB or 256GB Crucial M4+Thunderbolt Adapter.....But only thing with the Seagate Thunderbolt is that you will not get HIGH Speeds due to it having a standard HDD instead of a SSD inside. Only if you put in a SSD then you will take advantage of the true Thunderbolt powered external.

Either of the 3 mentioned setup's are expensive costing approx ~$300-$350 depending where you buy from also depends on if you care for more storage or speed.

If you care for Storage:
    1TB Thunderbolt Seagate Goflex; Cost $279(+Tax if applicable)

If you care for Speed with decent Storage:
    256GB SSD in a USB2.0 Enclosure or Combine SSD+Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter because it has a standard SATA Connector on its end essentially allowing you to connect any/all SATAII/III Drives; Cost ~$300-$350

----------

Also I think backing up 30GB to online storage for flood/theft/fire is a little overrated...sorry thats jus how i feel for such enormous amount of data you are pushing. How safe is your Data Online?

7. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Don't forget if you use iTunes Match, your music is already backed up. I suspect that your backup will take less than 10 days, I backed up 600GB in less time. In my opinion, Time Capsule w/ Crashplan as your off-site back up is a great way to go.

- David

8. Mac Elvis thread starter macrumors newbie

I see your point but for the price of a cup of coffee years of photos are backed up. If the house goes up in flames no external drive is going to help me then.

----------

Ah, **** it. I'm not waiting 13 days for the thing. I'll buy another external drive and leave it at my parents!:D

Removed archive from Crashplan, what little had gone over and uninstalled from MBA.

----------

For completeness do you know how I would check that there isn't anything of Crashplan still lurking around in the background after the uninstall?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can get it done in Finder, but it is a bit of a drill. I use iFileX for this kind of thing. Just install iFileX then search for "crashplan" like in my screen cap and delete everything you see there.

[​IMG]

Back to Crashplan... it is not cheap but they offer a service where they send you a hard drive and you do the initial backup to that drive and send it back to them to "seed" your backup set. Then you would just use the online backup for the small changes after that and it would be less time consuming.

I agree with you about offsite backup of some sort. I have about 6,000 family photos I would not want to lose.

10. Mac Elvis thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks, there was a few sneaky files left over which I highlighted all of them and pressed delete. I was asked to provide my password for a few times strangely and after doing so a few times I pressed cancel and all files went to the trash. All now removed from the trash. Thanks again, great little app