New MBA and FCP X

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Nostromo, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I read about the enthusiastic geek bench report (new 13"MBA faster than 2010 17" MBP).

But then, benchmarks are quite often totally disconnected from real world performance, especially demanding tasks like video editing. (A bit like pixel peeping versus photography).

What's your take: would the new MBA run FCP X well? Would the 4Gb RAM ceiling be asphyxiating?

I was repeatedly told to hold back on my MBP purchase until the new Air was out.

Now it's out. How do you think will it compare to the current MBPs on FCP X?

2. jqc macrumors regular

i would be interested to know as well. I have the 2010 11" ultimate, the playback for gopro 720p clip was very jerky, i needed to convert to proxy media. Im not sure this is totally the macbook's problem though as the clips played fine in imovie as well as when you quicklook the file.

It took about 2 hours to convert the 7 minute clip to apple tv format.

3. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

http://barefeats.com/mba11_01.html

More to come as soon as the one they've ordered turns up.

Quotes:
    I'd say it's probably fine for cutting ProRes Proxy files to begin a project out in the field (and look stylish while doing so) but IMHO I'd get frustrated if that was my one and only video editing machine and that was my main reason for having it.

4. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Pretty much along the lines what I was thinking about the matter.

Big step, which makes video editing possible, but not practicable as a general solution.

For the same reason I dropped the plan on getting a 13"MBP.

5. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I don't think the graphics card will like background rendering 1080P uncompressed video very well... I'd say if you're editing with Final Cut "Pro" stick with a "Pro" computer such as the macbook pro or mac pro. This isn't to say that the MacBook Air won't be able to do it but I'd guess it will heat up quite a bit and do you really want to edit video on an 11" screen?

6. the vj macrumors 6502a

Why people still thinking in using FCP X??? That software is not ready! Get iMovie, if you get FCP X you will look as an ignorant in front of anybody who is an editor. That software is a flop in the industry.

Find an student ID and get AVID for $300 and you are all set with a professional software that will find you a job in the near future not to mention a lot of respect.

7. will waters macrumors regular

8. handsome pete, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

handsome pete macrumors 68000

I've been a big critic of FCPX and it's simply unusable for both my full time and freelance post work.

Having said that, FCPX is perfectly suitable for many people, even in its current form. Your post comes off as ignorant and childish.

Oh, and no, I would not recommend a MacbookAir for any serious editing work.

9. hsilver macrumors regular

Also very curious how both FCP programs perform on MBA for, say, a producer creating radio cuts and rough assemblies to give an editor to start with.

I'm certain that FCPX is going to develop much further in a year or two. Right now it's very worthwhile for simpler, say, web videos. By the time it's ready, tape really will be obsolete and someone will have a program to bring in the few FCP7 projects still in progress. Then FCPX will seem very prescient.

10. handsome pete macrumors 68000

It's going to be quite a while until tape is truly obsolete. Hell, we still get BetaSP requests. I can't wait until it's gone, but it's going to be a mainstay in broadcast environments for a long time.

11. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

And you'll probably keep an old "tape capturing machine" around for those odd requests.

I work in AV and we have slowly been weaning people off slides but amongst the old guys there is resistance to change.

12. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

As noted, the MBA is out of the question for me (great computer, but not for me)

I'm in the market for the MBP 15" with high-res anti-glare display, but will delay the purchase as I'm busy with my photographic work - for which my current 24" iMac is fine.

Meanwhile I'll be using FCP6. I know that will cause ripples when I switch to FCP X later as I have to re-learn things, but for now it's fine. I guess it's best to buy a new computer as late as possible (who knows when then next MBP upgrade will come)

I will only edit shorts for now with a maximum of 5 minutes and testing non-linear story telling and editing techniques this way.(non-linear in relation to story telling).