New MBA battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tim100, Jun 12, 2012.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

Can some on confer how the battery life is impacted by

1 ivy bridge
    2 upgraded ram to 8

2. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

I sold my 2011 mba because the battery life on that was terrible. I kept my 13" 2011 MBA as for some reason, the battery life on that was better and longer.

However, can't wait for the geekbench and other stats for comparison.

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Ivy Bridge is simply a die shrink of Sandy Bridge, which means smaller transistors (granted, it's a ton more complicating than that). Nonetheless, active switching power for the transistors reduces and leakage current is reduced due to the new Trigate transistor structure. This translates to less power consumption and thusly, better battery life (though perhaps marginal in some cases).

The amount of RAM won't really affect your battery power. It's typically insignificant compared to your CPU/GPU/Display/Wi-Fi chip/etc, especially if you're just concerned about 4GB vs 8GB.

Now, if you're pushing 8GB constantly, that means you're probably pushing every other piece of hardware in the machine, thusly overall affecting battery life. But yeah, more often than not, there are other culprits when it comes to power consumption.

EDIT- Sorry, looks like you were looing for a real world example. I don't own one yet, just spewing knowledge/opinion lol