Resolved New MBA Bluetooth Issues - Exchanged...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by heyloo, Oct 28, 2011.

1. heyloo, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

heyloo macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I picked up a new MBA 13 i5 yesterday from Best Buy and I've been having some issues with my bluetooth since I've been using it.

I'm using an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Bluetooth mouse, and they suddenly choose to drop connection. It shows on the Menubar and Bluetooth Prefs that they're connected but no input at all. Once this error kicks in, I'm unable to turn in my Bluetooth on or off and get flooded on Console regarding variations of error messages regarding the AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController.

10/28/11 5:36:21.000 PM kernel: E:[AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController][StartInterruptPipeRead] ClearPipeStall failed with error 0xe000404f.

I've done a ton of searching since yesterday and apparently some people were able to get this fixed by utilizing variations of deleting plist files related to Bluetooth and PRAM/SMC resets. Deleting plist didn't work however resetting PRAM/SMC did (albeit I've only done these once each. Didn't want to keep doing these to a brand new computer).

I've read some people talk about AppleCare not being able to resolve this issue for the MBA and they ended up with swapping out the Logic Board in the end and the problem resolved.

Some pointed out it may be an issue with Migration Assistant, so being that I have run the Migration Assistant for my first run, I did a clean reinstall this morning and after a few hours, it's giving me the problem again. From the Console messages I can't spot any other applications kicking in or anything, the
    AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController simply fails.

Does anyone have any experiences with this kind of error? I'm gonna head out to Best Buy and see if I could exchange this one for another, but if any of you have any idea as to what's going on, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!

2. heyloo thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up making the exchange at Best Buy. It's kind of a bummer...the MBA was in perfect condition too...pity the Bluetooth had issues....

3. ZipZap macrumors 603

Then it was not in perfect condition.

So much aversion to returning a defective unit (not just you but many on this site).