New MBA buying advice 8GB

sylvermm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
before Monday's keynote I planned on buying a new MBA this Friday I knew there would be a refresh but I did not expect the option for 8GB of ram should I go for that or stick with 4 and go for the 128GB hard drive I can do one or the other. I had a 2011 MBA for my former job and it seemed fine but now IDK the thought is there.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
before Monday's keynote I planned on buying a new MBA this Friday I knew there would be a refresh but I did not expect the option for 8GB of ram should I go for that or stick with 4 and go for the 128GB hard drive I can do one or the other. I had a 2011 MBA for my former job and it seemed fine but now IDK the thought is there.
Most users can operate fine with 4GB of RAM. Depending on your typical workload, chances are you may never need more than that. More storage capacity is probably a better option.

sylvermm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
Thanks,

I should also note that this will not be my primary computer it will be mostly for when I have to do field work or travel I have a beefy tonymac special for office heavy lifting.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks,

I should also note that this will not be my primary computer it will be mostly for when I have to do field work or travel I have a beefy tonymac special for office heavy lifting.
All the more reason why 4GB is most likely sufficient.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Keep in mind the 4GB RAM is not upgradeable. If you find the 128 GB SSD to be too small at some point, it can be replaced with a higher capacity drive -- and likely at a lower cost than today.

sylvermm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
Yes that is the thing I know later on I could upgrade my HD but im stuck with 4GB if I choose it. I was fine with that when I thought 4GB was max but now it isn't so now Im torn. but definitely leaning toward 120GB HD and 4GB.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
It's a $100 difference in price for an extra 4GB ... and maybe extra piece of mind? I would get the 8GB. That way you will have it if you need it. IMO, one can never have too much memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.