New MBA buying advice 8GB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sylvermm, Jun 12, 2012.

1. sylvermm macrumors newbie

before Monday's keynote I planned on buying a new MBA this Friday I knew there would be a refresh but I did not expect the option for 8GB of ram should I go for that or stick with 4 and go for the 128GB hard drive I can do one or the other. I had a 2011 MBA for my former job and it seemed fine but now IDK the thought is there.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most users can operate fine with 4GB of RAM. Depending on your typical workload, chances are you may never need more than that. More storage capacity is probably a better option.

3. sylvermm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

I should also note that this will not be my primary computer it will be mostly for when I have to do field work or travel I have a beefy tonymac special for office heavy lifting.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All the more reason why 4GB is most likely sufficient.

5. hudson1 macrumors 6502

Keep in mind the 4GB RAM is not upgradeable. If you find the 128 GB SSD to be too small at some point, it can be replaced with a higher capacity drive -- and likely at a lower cost than today.

6. sylvermm thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that is the thing I know later on I could upgrade my HD but im stuck with 4GB if I choose it. I was fine with that when I thought 4GB was max but now it isn't so now Im torn. but definitely leaning toward 120GB HD and 4GB.

7. LaWally macrumors 6502a

It's a $100 difference in price for an extra 4GB ... and maybe extra piece of mind? I would get the 8GB. That way you will have it if you need it. IMO, one can never have too much memory.