New MBA freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by brainwave89, Oct 4, 2012.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

I have a three month old 13" MBA and it freezes indiscriminately. I can't move the mouse and the keyboard does not respond. The only option is to power down the laptop. I have found it always freezes in the midst of repairing permissions. Always. I booted to the recovery mode and the repairing of permissions did not freeze then.

The laptop has Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and other updates.

Any suggestions to resolve these issues are appreciated. Thanks for looking.

2. Birone macrumors newbie

I am having the same issues. It will do it whenever it feels like it, or work without freezing for days, yet I would say it has happened predominantly while using Chrome. Your best bet is to post here any events in the activity log that happened just prior to freezing. Its really annoying, I know.
    Just go in to "Console" and view "All Messages" to view and copy out any system error messages.

3. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Loads of threads already running on this if you search for them, but no resolution.

4. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both for your responses.

My MBA does not have Chrome on it. I will post the logs once I can.

5. thomaskelly427 macrumors member

If you are trying to repair permissions I would not recommend doing it when booted from the same volume your trying to repair. If you running 10.7 or later boot into the Recovery partition (hold option on power on and select the recover partition) or if 10.6 or before from the install DVD.

While you can repair permissions from the same volume you are booted from, you can experience issues, especially freezing when trying this.

6. cirial macrumors regular

My MBA 13" w/ 8gb ram has experienced intermittent freezes when I wake it from sleep. The Apple Store ordered me a new one to swap it out.. should be here in about 2 weeks. I've reinstalled Mountain Lion twice already.. no resolution. Hope you figure yours out!