New MBA - How to use external drive for media

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by miaomaya, Aug 14, 2014.

1. miaomaya macrumors newbie

Hello there!

I'm sure this has been asked before, so any help in pointing me to the right place will help as I have tried to search but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I just picked up a new MBA 13" 4gb/128gb from bb (with edu discount) that I'll be using for school. I have an external drive (passport 1TB) that has a backup of my 2011 MBP including all my media. Since my MBA has limited space, I just want to access music from my external drive - how do I do that with iTunes? Also how would I do the same with photos and iPhoto? In the future if I want to download music or upload photos, can I do that from my MBA directly to the external drive so that it can be read by both laptops?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Everything you need to know about moving your iTunes Library: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

But be careful - you should make sure that the iTunes library database is also moved to the external drive. The default is to place it on the internal drive regardless of where the actual media are stored. But that article explains how to move it as well. If you leave the database in its default location and then start up iTunes when the external drive isn't connected, you risk corrupting the iTunes database - which can be a mess (guess how I know? ;) )

Sorry, I don't use iPhoto.

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I keep my media on a 128 gig PNY storedge SD cards, one for movies and one for audio/other. They work very well.