New MBA, How to use old MBA on Wifi

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Capt. Morgan, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Capt. Morgan macrumors member

My new MacBook Air arrived Monday, and it runs great. I updated the new computer using the back-up of the old MBA on the Time Capsule. The only disappointments were losing a few PowerPC apps (Spaceward Ho, Galactica, and mac the Ripper).

Now the question is what to do with my first-gen MBA. My girlfriend could use it in place of her Dell. Her needs are pretty minimal: surfing, email, and opening Office documents. So my options:

1) Just fire up the old MBA and delete my documents, keeping the same computer name for the wireless network. Question: will the installed copy of iWork still be authorized, given that I installed it from on the new MBA from the Time Capsule back-up? Will my copy of Snow Leopard be authorized?

2) Start from scratch and reformat the old MBA, buying new software as needed. In her case, probably just iWork.

Ideas?

2. simsaladimbamba

1. Will work, as SL doesn't need authorisation. And you can change the computer name in System Preferences > Sharing, but that is not needed, as the old MBA will just use a different IP than the new MBA.
    The same goes for iWork.