New MBA is Humming...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Stangs55, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

First night with the new MBA...I'm laying in bed with it on my lap, the ceiling fan on, and a baby monitor buzzing in the corner and I can hear a distinct buzzing/humming/whirrling sound coming from my Macbook air. I'm guessing that it's the fan, because I have no idea what else it would be.

Can everyone hear their fan noise they clearly? I mean it's certainly not loud, but I can hear it at normal typing distance, with some background noise, and doing nothing but web browsing.

Normal? :confused:

My 2010 MBP is silent.

2. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

First night with it could mean it's still indexing, which will run the fans and heat up the Air pretty good. If it continues in a day, you may have a problem. Check Activity Monitor to see what's causing it, btw. My 2010 Air is dead silent unless I'm watching full screen streaming flash videos.

3. keyser macrumors newbie

yep, same here! I have an 13'' ultimate. I'm thinking about returning it for an i5 which is noticeably more quite.

4. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Thanks for the advice.

The most active thing in the Activity Monitor is the Activity Monitor at around 0.7% ... :eek: The system is otherwise 99%-ish idle.

5. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Well I kept it on all night idling just in case it was actually indexing....this morning, the same steady hum is still there. Thoughts? Take it in to apple?

6. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Take it in. However it may be difficult for the "genius" to hear it at the usually crowded and busy apple store.

7. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's definitely not normal for an Air. I have to push mine pretty hard to get the fans to come on.

8. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Welp, after an hour wait at the "genius" bar :rolleyes:, I was able to exchange my MBA.

I'm glad to report that the soft hum is completely gone. And as icing on the cake, I went from a Toshiba SSD/LG Display to a Samsung/Samsung. :D