Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Okay so I didnt realize there was a refurb section on apple until I read a thread in here. Anywho, I have a Macbook (white, late 2007 I believe.) It fell and broke, and I remember posting a thread to see if anyone had similar breakage to see if how much they were charged to fix but got no answer. I loved it when it worked. It is the 13 inch and it was the higher priced one with no additional add ons. So I'm here like, should I fix it, or get a new comp. The computer part of it is working, its just the screen does not show. The part where it ajoins is broken, wires were pinched/exposed/damaged so the screen is useless. I found Dr Brendan in park slope that fixes Mac's, but have yet to make it to him for a free assessment.

So all history aside I said well instead of putting in $500 (I'm guesstimating) to fix it, let me get a new one. I will in the future fix it . So my question is, has anyone bought a refurbished Mac? Does it look brand new, no scuffs etc?
I too am trying decide between a MBA, and a MBP. Last time I was at the Mac store I was like "Oooo, pretty," referencing the MBA. The thing I didnt like was the lack of dvd drive, but I feel like I can just buy the dvd part seperately. So, my Macbook was fine, performance wise. I mainly use my computer for emails, skype, play music at the loudest to jam instead of using the radio watching youtube vids on occassion, tinychat (for using ASL) and thats it. I rarely watch DVD movies, or play CD's.

Do they sell the refurbished ones that you see online at the store is it online only? I will be going to the store in a few days to get a feel for the size difference, but dont want to be in there forever trying to decide while I can do it at home first.

I love small so it will be between an 11 inch/13 inch MBA or 13 MBP.

Theres a 11 inch October 2010 Air for 899, 2 gb, 128 1.4 ghz,
13 inch Oct 2010 for 949 2 gb, 128 GB, 1.8 Ghz and then theres a
13 inch Pro for 929 Feb 2011, 4gb, 320 GB, 2.3 GHZ all refurbs.
Which is a good deal compared to brand new and current? Theres also some 09's on there for about $100 less with the same specs as the 13 inch air. Is there a difference between the 2009, 2010, 2011 models? Besides the OS of course which I can buy for 30 dollars.

Compared to my (I removed the battery and found this on the back) 2.2/2X1G/120 Which would give the same or better performance?

When do new MBA/MBP and Ipads come out?

As far as the Ipad 2, I kind of figured I would need to buy a keyboard, and it might not be as fast, or have the same amount of applications as a comp would. Thanks a bunch.

* I just realized they sold the white Macbooks up until 2010, so what exactly is the difference between that and pro?

Last edited:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

They dont sell refurbs in store only online. Forget a white macbook they are not a good deal in the refurb store compared to the pro. Any mac in the refurb store will do what you want and will be better than your white macbook was. If it was me the choice would be either the pro with the core i5 processor (13") or a brand new air. The current air models are not on the refurb store yet and imo if you are getting an air you are further ahead with the 2011 model than the 2010 (forget anything older than 2010)

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
the 2010 macbook air had a different hinge then the 2009 air. I have had experience with refurbs in the past and they have been nothing but perfect. If you have an issue they still have the same 1 year warranty. Keep in mind that these have been thoroughly inspected and have a higher QC then the factories. If you get two issues they give you a new one. I bet any money that if i put a refurb and a new beside each other u would not be able to tell the difference. At this point all you need to do is choose is the MBA better for you or the MBP

Detrias

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
If i were you i would probably try to sell the broken macbook thru either ebay/craiglist or the such and buy a refurb 13" 2010 air. The difference in portability vs the 11 model on a personal level, i find it to be minimum. Bare in mind tho that the 13" got the advantage of a faster cpu, better battery life, bigger disk configuration and the SD card slot. Even tho i got an iPad 2 myself i find it hard to recommend u take route if u don't have a main computer already.

RLesko

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
The iPad and the MBA do not even come close to fulfilling similar roles, and they are not substitutes for each other. So since you're potentially replacing your laptop, I am automatically saying no to the iPad 2.

To answer your other questions, no, I would not sink any money into a machine from 2007. It has lasted your nearly 5 years (depending on when you got it in 07) and thats a pretty sufficient amount of time to feel comfortable with purchasing a replacement. I literally just searched "2007 macbook" on ebay and working models seem to be around $400, so you might be able to get a couple hundred for yours.

As stated before, any new model mac will seem blazing fast to you. If you thought the 13" was a good size, I will suggest a 13" MBP. It is probably the most cost-efficient mac portable. Great all around computer, will be able to handle anything you mentioned with ease. I wouldn't buy a Core 2 Duo refurb though, as the i5/i7 is much better in a lot of areas (performance, battery usage).

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Stay away from the iPad its now where near a computer replacement.

Out of those I would go with a MBA.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Ive opted for a 13 Mbp, or 11 Mba. I just finished reading about how the battery life is subpar on the airs. It seems some are lucking out better than others doing the exact same task. Now I am going to see how long the battery is on a Mbp. All in all my heart its set on an air though, just not liking the longevity of the battery of the 11in.

----------

Btw my itubes library, vids, as well as pictures are on there, how would I be able to retrieve them on the best possible way? Also of someone can provide a link for that as well as a link showing me how to erase all my info for sale of the old book that would be appreciated. Question.. Is there a possible reason for saving my Mac book? Parts? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.