New MBA (mid-2012) Loud Trackpad Clicking Noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by manunited, Jul 15, 2012.

1. manunited macrumors member

Hey guys,

So I got a shiny brand new Ivy Bridge MBA 13" base model today, but I've noticed that my trackpad makes a loud, hollow clicking noise (in comparison to my the MBP 13" that I was using previously). Is this normal? Or do I have a faulty trackpad? The sound is not horrible or anything, but it would be better if the sound was a little more 'dense'. Can the people of this forum with MBAs confirm whether or not this is a regularity with MBA trackpads? Thanks :eek:

2. AtticusRyan macrumors newbie

I own an rMBP and a 2012 air and I can say that this difference in sounds just comes from the differences in the chassis of the two machines. The MBA clicks differently because there's pretty much nothing underneath the trackpad, whereas on the MBP there is a large battery directly under it.

3. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

My 2012 MBA's trackpad has a pretty loud click, I think this is probably normal.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

It's hard to say without hearing it, but I do notice a slightly different sound on the MacBook Air from my mother's 15" MacBook Pro (2009). As AtticusRyan says, it's probably just the difference in chassis.

As long as it works, I wouldn't worry about it. The next time you are at the store, perhaps check out others to see if it makes the same sound.

5. manunited thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys. I kind of figured that it was due to the thinness of the air, but wanted to double check just in case. The sound isn't really bad and besides, I prefer tapping over clicking.