New MBA ..now what should I do?

Appleking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Hello All:

I'm new to the forum and I need help!

I just phased out my 2009 MBP and got the new Macbook Air 1.7 i5 with 256gb.

I also have an iMac (2011 21.5) for my main home computer and storage. It's the 2011 thunderbolt with 500gb hard drive.

Here's what I'm thinking I could do.

1. Keep the iMac as my backup and home computer and I can always extend my desktop via thunderbolt from my MBA

2. Sell the iMac, get a refurbished Apple Display (27 inch) and use a mac Mini.

3. Sell the iMac, get a refurbished Apple Display (27 inch) and just use the MBA as my one and only computer.

Any thoughts?

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
IMO, option one works out best. Less work to do...

Also, the iMac has screen real estate the MBA can never have, so incase if a work project needs more screen space, or more processing power, it's always there.

Of course, if selling the iMac nets a TBD27, I'd also go for that. Maybe include a backup HDD, but that's it (IMO, of course). I just don't think getting a MacMini on top of that is worthwhile (especially if it's the non-AMD GPU version).

For myself, I use a somewhat borged Windows setup with a small laptop, and a big display at home. It's just convinient for me. I get home, and have a big display + good KB/M to work with.

Comment

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
Do the 21 inch iMac models allow video input? I thought that was reserved for the 27 inch model? Wouldn't mind being proved wrong on this, but I thought it was limited to certain iMac models.

EDIT: Happy to have been proven wrong. It's all limited to Thunderwear computers though.

Last edited:
Comment

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Do the 21 inch iMac models allow video input? I thought that was reserved for the 27 inch model? Wouldn't mind being proved wrong on this, but I thought it was limited to certain iMac models.
You are correct. Only 27"

EDIT: I am wrong, please see below.

Last edited:
Comment

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Hello All:

I'm new to the forum and I need help!

I just phased out my 2009 MBP and got the new Macbook Air 1.7 i5 with 256gb.

I also have an iMac (2011 21.5) for my main home computer and storage. It's the 2011 thunderbolt with 500gb hard drive.

Here's what I'm thinking I could do.

1. Keep the iMac as my backup and home computer and I can always extend my desktop via thunderbolt from my MBA

2. Sell the iMac, get a refurbished Apple Display (27 inch) and use a mac Mini.

3. Sell the iMac, get a refurbished Apple Display (27 inch) and just use the MBA as my one and only computer.

Any thoughts?

For the cost that option 2 will be you might as well consider a 27" iMac refurb. Personally I'd just keep the 21.5" iMac unless you need more screen real estate.

Comment

Appleking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Thanks for the replies! I'm going to keep the iMac and connect via thunderbolt to that and extend the screen.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.