New MBA or refurbished 3rd gen non haswell rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tjmckay4, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Tjmckay4 macrumors member

O.P.
    My current MacBook Pro (non retina) is out of lease (notebook for teachers), so I need to replace it.

I mainly use productivity apps like ms office, safari, etc but sometimes use adobe CS6, Photoshop, dream weaver, etc. I cart the lappie around from the office to the classroom, around the class, and at home connected to an external monitor. I also have an 27" imac at home that I use for work. Currently 110gb is used on my laptop.

Here comes my quandary, MBA or rMBP?

- Current MBA, 1.3ghz core i5, 8gb RAM, 256gb (AU$1448) OR
    - Refurbished rMBP Feb 2013, 2.6ghz core i5, 8gb RAM, 256gb (AU$1489) OR EVEN
    - Current refurbished MBA, 1.3ghz core i5, 4gb RAM, 128gb (AU$1059)

I know that the MBA would be more portable, but for pretty much the same price would it be worth it getting the previous gen retina MBP?

Please help! Thanking you in advance.

2. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Non Haswell Retina any day.

The MacBook Air is OK if that's your only choice but a full MacBook Pro with all the ports and everything would be better IMO.

3. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

You don't say what size the MBAs are, 11 or 13? or the rMBP, 13 or 15?

The only reason I would even think of the MBA before an rMBP would be if the 11 inch size was important.

IMO the difference in portability between the 13 MBA and 13 MBR is not enough to outweigh the screen, connectivity, power etc etc

4. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

New MBA or refurbished 3rd gen non haswell rMBP?

If you plan on keeping the Macbook for +3 years the MBPr is the best choice. The power on the pro will survive Apple OS X updates better and the retina display is incredible. Portability-wise, unless you are very weak, the pro won't be an issue.

I know its more expensive but it's totally worth it in the long run.

5. Tjmckay4 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, it's the 13"

6. Tjmckay4 thread starter macrumors member

Any other thoughts on this guys?

What about the base 13" MBA? Would that be ok for occasional adobe CS6 apps like Photoshop and dreamweaver? I need to make a decision soon.

Cheers

Troy

7. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I might be tempted to get the base 13" Air over the refurb 13" rMBP to save money (the only reason IMO), but I also know myself well enough to know I would regret it after doing it. I have often gone with the cheaper option, but afterwards known I have done the wrong thing.

Cheap option is OK for things I don't really care about.

Only you know whether you are likely to regret going cheap...you might be the type who never looks back.