New MBA or rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iFusionApple, Jun 25, 2013.

1. iFusionApple, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

iFusionApple macrumors member

Im wondering if i should wait like 3 months for a new retina mbp. Hopefully with the new Haswell graphics and some other improvements.

Or if i should buy a new mba. I'm talking about the 13" models. I would then upgrade ram and processor in the Air, and upgrade the ssd via third party to 480 gb.

The rMBP i would then just upgrade ssd to about 256 gb. If i need more storage -> external drive.
    Just gonna have the things on i need most.

I will do these things on it:
    - documents
    - light photo editing
    - every now and then gaming (Real console games :p )
    - general stuff like emails, browsing, etc
    - watching films

Big advantage would be the retina display, but its also more expensive. But i really love good displays :)

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You won't save much going with third party drives there. Have you compared? They won't shift much in price either, as Apple is using proprietary connectors there. You also need to remember to swap the original drive back in if you ever require warranty service. Those parts aren't considered user serviceable. When you say 256 or 480, that isn't ram. That is an ssd. If it comes down to which display, only you can answer that question.

3. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

Oh, my fault sorry, i mean ssd of course! :D

----------

Yes, i have compared third party ssd's with apple ones. 512 (apple) is going to get more expensive than buying a kit with screwdrivers and that and with an ssd module with 480 gb. I looked for a tutorial ond upgrading ssd and came across a company called owc-something, forgot the name...
    I think that third-party company is legit, and i think it will work fine, just do what you're told to do in the video.

But what would you suggest on buying (ex. Whole storage story...)? :)