New MBA owner-Excited to explore!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by keren710, Feb 28, 2015.

1. keren710 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I just got Mac Book Air 11 and no experience in any Mac book. I have downloaded movies to my 1TB seagate portable hard drive from a windows base desktop but when I want to watch it from my MBA i cant see any files.I mean i detected the External hard drive but i cant see any files...please please can anyone give a hint. Thank you!

2. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

And it still works with your Windows set-up?
    Your MBA can read FAT32/NTFS out-of-the-box. If your external drive is formatted otherwise, your MBA might not be able to read from it.

3. keren710 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Baunkjaer for the response. Yes, the movies are working when i opened in desktop, but not in Mac. My external drive is new as well, I'm thinking maybe i have to download the movies from my mac and transfer it to my external drive as my mac has only 128GB.How do i know if my external drive is FAT32 or not?

4. motrek macrumors 68020

You should be able to see the files. Do you mean you can't play the files as movies or the drive appears to be empty when you connect it the Mac?

If it has files on it, I can't imagine a circumstance where it appears empty. Something seems like it must be wrong in that case.

5. keren710 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know there's file coz the memory went down to 859GB, but unfortunately i cant see the folder where my movies were save. I'll have to figure that out, thanks for the response.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the folder name starts with a period, which OS X (and most Unix-ish systems) might interpret as a hidden file/folder and not display it...?

You can try moving the files to somewhere else, maybe the root of the drive, and see if the Mac can see the files there?

Otherwise I still can't think of a circumstance where the drive would appear empty even though it has files/folders on it, sorry. :(

7. keren710 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the tip motrek, i'll try that. Hope i'll make it work. :)