New MBA owner, several questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tsukii, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Tsukii macrumors newbie

Hi, fellow Apple users ^^ Newbie here ^^
    I'm just recently bought a base 13" MBA 2012. I'm new to Mac OS X, and currently trying to learn. I have several questions.
    First of all, I feel that the aluminium case of MBA is somewhat soft, especially at the centre. If I squeeze the case when lid closed, it temporarily bent. When I release my fingers, it becomes normal. Is that usual? I tried to do this on MBP, but MPB is not like this.
    Secondly, I got MBA with Office 11 and iWork 09. Is there anyway to back up those applications that are already installed on the machine?
    Lastly, I have accepted iLife that comes with ML (My MBA comes with ML). Do I need to register the license of ML to my account?
    Is there any must-have apps? Any place or ebook that provide instruction on Mac OS X, specifically ML?
    Thank for help.:apple:

2. samh macrumors 6502

You can find some great basic/tutorial info for people switching from Windows at apple.com

Office 11 and iWork 09 will be backed up along with the rest of your system if you use Time Machine, which I highly recommend.

3. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

The easy way to backup your Mac is to use Time Machine. Here's how:

Purchase a USB 3.0 external hard drive. 500 GB is fine, buy 1 TB if you want.

Plug it into your Mac. You will see a message asking if you want to use the drive as a Time Machine. Click Yes.

Your backup will begin automatically. The first takes a long time, because it backs up everything. Keep the drive plugged in when you're at home, and it will automatically backup your Mac -- OS, apps, documents, an everything.

4. Tsukii thread starter macrumors newbie

^^

Thank for response. ^^
    I'm still learning the gestures ^^
    About scrolling, I enables Natural scrolling because I'm used to scroll on touch screen. Shall I change to scroll in traditional way?

5. geraldo, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

geraldo macrumors newbie

- Don't do that then :)
    But seriously, there is a cut-out in the lid for the plastic Apple logo. So, it is probably less stiff since there is less metal. If you have your laptop open and hold it up against sunlight, you'll also see the light come through the lid a bit (assuming you have the screen dimmed, or display turned off).

My case flexes if I do the same -- on my MBA 11 and MBA 13.