New MBA Owner.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nidserz, Nov 23, 2008.

1. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Hey everyone!

I just converted 2 more people to the Mac World.
    I had the intention to buy my uncle a MBA rev.B, base model, because he just needs it for e-mail and word processing.

Anyway the price with a student discount is $1999 CAD. When I got to the store they didn't have any, only the SSD model, which was not needed.
    However, one guy at the store said he had a rev.A for $1699 CAD brand new in box. So I picked it up as the improved graphics card and increase in HDD wouldn't really make much of a difference.

However, should I be really concerned about core shutdowns and heat issues? Or was this a good deal??

Thanks

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Not if you're just using it for email and word processing. Problems were mostly with videos, particularly flash based.

Good luck and congrats!!:)

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

congrats! It shouldn't be a problem, especially since it hasn't even occurred!

Just bring it back to Apple if there are any issues. But like NCMacguy said, if it's just browsing and email, you're good :cool:

4. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Ciongrats!
    Your uncle will be flying through this baby of a laptop if he's doing the basics! :)

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

As others have said, congratz! the Rev A is a speedy model, for email and internet, just stay away from flash.

6. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Unfortunately I don't know if he is going to use any Flash videos, but I am pretty sure he wasn't. My sister has a rev A and she has watched Flash videos without problems, I guess I just hope I got a good one of the batch.

I am going over to help him out and set it up and introduce him a little more to OSX.

If I have any problems or concerns I will post. Thanks again.

Cheers

7. MazingerZ macrumors 6502

MazingerZ

I would have gone for the Rev B. Also, Rev A's are now going for about 1200 usd new everywhere.

In anycase, install coolbook on it just to be safe.

8. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

Some less then 1200.00

Ditto on the Rev. B

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations and well done; nice story, hope the MBA works out really well.

Cheers and good luck to both you and your uncle.