New MBA Purchased From Macmall: Was it really new??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mode-III fan, May 29, 2011.

1. Mode-III fan macrumors member

I recently purchased a supposedly brand new MBA from Macmall. The first thing I did after starting up the computer was a check of the battery cycle count, which was at 9.

Is this usual for a brand new Mac? Has anyone else seen something similar? Could this indicate that the MBA wasn't actually brand new?

Incidentally, I had to return the MBA due to a sleep mode problem.

2. calvol macrumors 6502a

Looks like it was a return, my refurb MBA from AppleStore only had 3 battery cycles.

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Was the plastic still sealed on the laptop? Search the forum, as someone else had a similar situation with a count of 10 but unit was still new. It would be hard for anyone to reseal the white sticker on the plastic.

4. Mode-III fan thread starter macrumors member

I agree and I will search the forum again for that post you mentioned. The box was sealed in the plastic wrap. My initial thought was that the unit had been tested a few times for some reason. The replacement MBA had a cycle count of zero.

I wonder if it is possible somehow for a refurb unit to be mistakenly resold as a brand new unit? It seems to me that the non-zero cycle count and the fact that the unit had a sleep mode problem suggests the MBA was actually a refurb. The unit didn't have a refurb serial number.

Any theories anyone??

5. Mode-III fan thread starter macrumors member

That's interesting. Can returns be resold as being brand new? Plus, that means the reseller had to reapply the plastic wrap mentioned by jenzjen.

6. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be surprised if so many MBA from every new batch are set aside for some testing by Apple then packaged and sold. 9 cycles isn't anything to fret over and I highly doubt MacMall would reseal a return item and not mention that fact.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

They might, but I don't think a reputable dealer would do it.

8. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

Re-shrink-wrapping the box is no problem if you have a shrink-wrap machine. I'm sure MacMall does or has access to one. So judging the "newness" of the Air by the shrink-wrap can be very misleading.

The inner seal, however, would be quite a bit harder to replace. They'd need plastic wrap cut to the proper size and some original Apple seals. While I wouldn't put this past MacMall, it would be harder to convincingly reseal a used machine.

My guess is that your Air was returned, re-wrapped and sold as new. Did the actual machine have a sealed cello cover around it when you removed it from the box?

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

This is what I was referring to when I wrote the white sticker. There's a white sticker on this cello plastic that covers the laptop itself that you need to break to get to the machine. While possible, I doubt most stores have access to this plastic and another OEM sticker to make it appear new.

10. Mode-III fan thread starter macrumors member

I agree. It just looked a little weird.

11. Mode-III fan thread starter macrumors member

That's a great point, which hadn't occurred to me. So, it seems like I had a machine that had been set aside for some Q&A testing, which by chance also had a problem (apparently not picked up during the Q&A testing).

12. Mode-III fan thread starter macrumors member

Yes it did and the white label was completely intact.

13. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

If the white seal was completely intact, then I wouldn't worry.

In any case, getting MacMall to take back a piece of Apple gear has been problematic for me ... which is why I seldom do business with them. I ordered a G4 PowerBook with additional RAM years ago; the machine arrived looking as if it had been dipped in a big jar of mayonnaise. Nothing I could do - phone calls, email photos, etc - would get MacMall to accept it as a return.

Enjoy your Air!

14. Mode-III fan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! It turns out there was a sleep mode problem with the air. I figured the same as you, that Macmall would be a pain, so I visited an Apple store who replaced it with a brand new unit! Guess I was lucky. Still, that's always worth a try for anyone attempting to return a malfunctioning, new item to Macmall.