New MBA question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Hotsauce77, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Hotsauce77 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! So I just purchased a new MBA 13" (first Mac actually :) ). I have to say, it is one beautiful piece of hardware. My questions is, is that when I am playing Bioshock (the only game I currently have for it) the fan kicks on and stays on.

I know MBA's aren't really meant for gaming, but supposedly these new haswell machines are quite capable. Is this a normal experience for the fan to kick on? The bottom of the machines also gets quite warm as well. Since this is my first MBA I was just wondering what was considered the norm. Are there additional settings I should tweak (game or OS) to mitigate the fan kicking on? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

2. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

Yes it is normal. Playing games is really taxing on a system, making it work harder (working at higher frequencies for longer periods of time).

Especially for something like Haswell; both the processor and GPU are on the same chip side by side and things heat up a bit when both of them are working under load.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Quite normal. Nothing to worry about. Crank up the volume or connect a set of external bluetooth speakers, and enjoy your game! :D

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The fans should come on even more when playing a game. They're actually always on, you just can't hear them at idle.

5. Hotsauce77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks everyone for your input and piece of mind! You guys rock!