New MBA "Standby" mode versus MBP SSD Hibernate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by demonsavatar, Oct 20, 2010.

1. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Is there anything different about the new Macbook Air's 30-day "standby" mode and using hibernate on a Macbook Pro that has an SSD?

Will there be an option to use this feature on MBP's with SSDs? I don't see why not.

2. tdream macrumors 65816

One saves data to the RAM the other to the drive.

3. davidcmc macrumors 6502

Any Mac (including MacBooks Pro 13") can save the OS state to the drive and power off.
    It's the same way the new MBA works.

http://www.axoniclabs.com/DeepSleep/

Sleep = Saves state to RAM.
    Deep Sleep = Saves state to drive (HD or SSD).

4. miata macrumors 6502

So, if you put an SSD in a MBP will you get the same instant wake and 30 day standby that the MBAs have?

5. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

When you close a MBP it goes to normal sleep mode, right? How do you put it in deep sleep?

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

No.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Seems to me if you have an SSD in a MBP and set Hibernatemode to 1 you will get the same instant on (because of the SSD restore of RAM instead of HD restore of RAM) and 30 day standby (because hibernate turns off the power) as the MBA.

8. tharris0101 macrumors member

The "30 day standby" feature of the new MBA has to be the most useless feature I've ever heard. If you're not going to be using your laptop for weeks at a time, do you really need a laptop? And do you really need to be able to pick right back up where you left off a month later?

One time I accidentally left my old Powerbook on but closed when I left for a week. When I got back I plugged it into power and it popped right back up where I left off. I thought it was cool that happened but ultimately useless.

9. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

That whole Instant On thing on the MBA is more or less a marketing gimmick. I was playing with it in the Apple store and I don't see what the big deal is. I close my MacBook Pro when I'm done with it (haven't powered it off in two weeks), and then open it it when I need it and boom, everything that I was last working on is still there in a matter of seconds.

Sure it's a lot faster with an SSD drive in terms of waking up but the effect isn't really that different. If I wanted that effect I can thrown in an SSD drive on my MBP if I could afford it. And who in the right mind is going to have their notebook on standby for 30 days? What would the point of that be?

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The "point" of instant-on in the MBA is that it is a feature taken "Back to the Mac" from the iPad.

As to how useful it is, well it beats a cold startup.

11. Z3man macrumors 6502a

i have recently bought a new 13" base pro with an SSD factory fitted, i definitely get instant on but i don't get the 30 day standby time, i have worked out i would probably get about 13-15 days, once i have had it a bit longer i will be able to tell better. i don't think it has the deep sleep mode, it always has the light pulsing on the front which i don't think would happen if it had a deep sleep mode, the airs don't have the pulsing light at all.

12. davie18 macrumors regular

I thought the whole point of them saying 30 days is that they are basically saying you might as well never turn it off if you need to use it again in an hour or 2 because the power consume would be minimal.

I don't think they were saying it so people would think 'Omg that means I can leave me laptop turned on for 2 weeks and use it instantly.'

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

The whole month later thing is missing the point.

It is merely an indication that there is essentially no penalty to pay in battery life for just closing the lid.

My GF has the late 2010 air, and has maybe rebooted it 5-6 times in a year.

Why? Because she just closes the lid. If you do that on an MBP, the next day you've drained a fair bit of power. On the MBA it isn't even noticeable.