Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Its been three days since I got my new MBA and I'm experiencing this atleast twice a day. When I'm browsing suddenly the screen goes black and the keyboards lights are shut off. Retouching the touchpad or a key on the keyboard brings it back to the last state. Anybody experienced this problem? Its got nothing to do with the screen saver because when I'm using the comp or writing stuff it suddenly happens!

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Do you have one of the hot corners set put the display to sleep?

System Preferences > Desktop & Screensaver > Hot Corners

Ray J

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2013
I've experienced this twice in two days. First time was scary. It died and wouldn't wake for like 30 seconds or so.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
I've experienced this twice in two days. First time was scary. It died and wouldn't wake for like 30 seconds or so.

Do you had to cold-boot it or did it recover after 30 sec. by itself? :confused:

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
This happens on my 2012 MBA too. I suspect that the computer is going to sleep again (for some strange reason). It always freaks me out and I think the computer has died but then I press a button and it wakes back up. Maybe an SMC reset would fix the problem? It doesn't happen to me often enough to be more than a small annoyance but I'm sure if you take it to an Apple store an SMC reset is the first thing they'll try.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
This happens on my 2012 MBA too. I suspect that the computer is going to sleep again (for some strange reason). It always freaks me out and I think the computer has died but then I press a button and it wakes back up. Maybe an SMC reset would fix the problem? It doesn't happen to me often enough to be more than a small annoyance but I'm sure if you take it to an Apple store an SMC reset is the first thing they'll try.

Happens to me at least once a day.

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Do you have one of the hot corners set put the display to sleep?

System Preferences > Desktop & Screensaver > Hot Corners

Nope turned off.

This. Suddenly blacks out and the only way to recover is to click a key or click the touch pad.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
Take a look at the screenshot. Blackout happens when I'm using the computer.

Yeah. However, it is related to sleep settings. Just post the output and we'll see whether it is the new Haswell sleep states or something else.

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah. However, it is related to sleep settings. Just post the output and we'll see whether it is the new Haswell sleep states or something else.
Active Profiles:
Battery Power 1*
AC Power 2
Currently in use:
standbydelay 10800
standby 1
halfdim 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
darkwakes 0
disksleep 10
sleep 1
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 3
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 2
acwake 0
lidwake 1

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
Your standbydelay and autopoweroffdelay are just 1 minute apart. Nearly the same time as your MBA goes to sleep. Maybe it is caused by autopoweroffdelay. Setting either of them to a different value might solve the issues. You should also set sleep to another value than 1. If that won't work, try a SMC and PRAM reset.

Here's mine for a comparision: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17493118/

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Your standbydelay and autopoweroffdelay are just 1 minute apart. Nearly the same time as your MBA goes to sleep. Maybe it is caused by autopoweroffdelay. Setting either of them to a different value might solve the issues. You should also set sleep to another value than 1. If that won't work, try a SMC and PRAM reset.

Here's mine for a comparision: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17493118/

How do you do a SMC and PRAM reset?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.