New MBA user needs help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by astoxos, Jul 18, 2012.

1. astoxos macrumors regular

Hello
    I got my new mba and i have a few issues since i am a new apple user.
    Straigth to the point:

a) The keayboard leaves some nasty marks on the screen when the lid is closed. I wipe them and its ok, but is this how it works?

b) Safari sometimes freezes and loads the the webpages only after quit and relaunch. Tried already to empty cache, reset safari, remove extensions, delete cookies. Nothing did the trick yet.

c) I plan use the laptop/battery like this:
    Day: plugged all the time, sleep during breaks
    Night: unplugged and shutdown.
    Run one full charge every month.
    Is it a good plan to keep battery healthy?

Thanks in advance for your time.
    P.s: New member here! Nice to meet you all!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

A) Do you use a keyboard cover? If so, sometimes they can press against the screen. If not, are you putting it inside a tight sleeve? Again, if it is too tight, the keyboard can press against the screen. I haven't noticed screen marks, but it can happen under certain circumstances.

B) That seems unusual. Are you running Flash, or are any particular sites causing the crashes? Since you are new to the Mac, I'm guessing you have a clean installation. Provide some more information and perhaps we can help. Be sure to run Software Update to make sure you have all the latest updates.

C) See here for information about using the battery.

3. astoxos thread starter macrumors regular

a)I am not using anything on my keyboard, i close the lid gently and my mba is placed on my desk since day one

b)I dont know what a 'clean install' is but i use the preinstalled safari app that came with my mac. There are no updates available, my mba is only 4 days old.
    The only things i have intalled are the adobe flash player, and a youtube5 extension (HTLM5 video player, version 2.3.1).

c) I have read again and again the apple's manual but i cand draw a conclusion about the plan i posted before.

Thanks again.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

B) What I meant is that you didn't migrate from an older Mac (which could have carried over old settings). The only things I can think of that could be causing the crashes are Flash and the YouTube add-on. Again, see if you can isolate it to a particular site. If not, try removing the Flash and YouTube add-ons one by one and see if that eliminates the crashing.

C) The important thing is just to use the battery. Don't keep it plugged in all the time. Note that if it is unplugged at night, it will drop into "deep sleep" mode, and drain only about 1-2% of the battery overnight. There is no need to shut down the Mac at night. Just close the lid. Macs don't need to be restarted very often (it isn't like Windows XP or Vista). I'd suggest using it unplugged every so often. Try to get a few battery cycles per month.

5. astoxos thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I'll try your suggestions about safari first. This is what bothers me the most.
    THanks for the infos.