New MBA /w i7 is laggy for you too?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by miza.org, Sep 2, 2014.

1. miza.org macrumors newbie

Just got a brand new MBA 13-inch with an i7 and 8GB ram and 128GB flash.

I immediatly noticed some lagg in the animation you get after a reboot and the window fades in. it's laggy for me. even under normal/cool temperatures.

I also noticed some issues with the display. The pixels seem to be thicker and more visible. It has the effect of a layer of moisture on an LCD panel, pronouncing the RGA colors. Just looks kinda funny and cheap-ish.

This MBA was ordered from macmall.com.

Are there any tools you recommend I use to test CPU & GPU as well as RAM and Flash Storage? Any help would be fantastic!

:apple:

2. yosemit macrumors regular

Nope. My 2013 11" i7/8GB/256GB has been running without any lag for any normal jobs. In the beginning the batter meter was relatively short (normal for a new computer), and that's it. No screen problem either.

I would exchange it.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Nope, mine is very fast.

And terrific battery life too!

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Something must be wrong. I have a 2013 i7/8gb/512gb MBA and it has always been very responsive.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Spotlight indexing

Assuming you have just transferred your files onto the machine spotlight could be indexing your whole drive this will slow it down. Check on CPU usage for kernel task pegging the CPU.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

My 2013 i7/8gb/512gb MBA is VERY fast. Screen could not be better.

7. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I have a 2013 11" MBA - i7/8/512. It's actually faster - with no lag - than my late-2013 13" MBP Retina i7/16/512. If you're encountering substantial lag, I'd take the machine in and have someone check it out.

8. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

What exactly are you running/seeing which seems to lag? I've got a 2013 13" i7/8/512 and it's quite fast.

9. miza.org thread starter macrumors newbie

I notice that during the boot up window pop animation has some hick ups in it. Usually it is very smooth. I also noticed that the display looks a little funky and so do gradients.

Did a disk speed test and got 290mb/s and 610mb/s reads

No other testing yet. I feel there may be something weird going on with thre GPU/CPU.

10. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Make sure your RAM shows as whatever you expect it to show. One time (this was almost 10 years ago), I ordered a custom config'd macbook pro and when it came I couldn't figure out why it was so laggy, and it turned out one of the RAM modules was lose and not installed properly. Obviously the MBA doesn't have slotted ram, but maybe if it wasn't soldered on properly and you're not getting the full available RAM?

11. miza.org thread starter macrumors newbie

RAM is fine. I think if it has faulty RAM it wouldn't even boot up.

12. RianT macrumors member

RianT

I would contact the site you bought it from and ask for an exchange. It seems like a defective unit. I think Apple might have some quality control issue lately. My brother bought a Macbook Air and the keyboard seems ready to fall apart the first day, he took it back and exchanged for a Pro, that one ran like an oven even when the computer is idling, he took it back again and the last one has been fine so far. So maybe you're just one of those unlucky folks...

13. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Not sure how soldered ram works. Back when there were slots, you could boot and operate just fine if one of the DIMMs wasn't seated properly.. or if it was even removed. I'd speculate if the RAM config on the MBA is soldered modules, it would operate just fine minus the faulty module...