New MBA...What Case Will Work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cshel24, Jul 26, 2014.

1. cshel24 macrumors member

I just purchased a new MBA 13 inch today. :D

The model number is A1466. I was curious if I could get a Speck Case (or something similar) to go on my new machine. I looked on Amazon and they have stuff that will fit what says "New June 13 model (as well as the older ones)" Will these cases work on the latest model?

2. nexus4life macrumors regular

Congrats on the purchase.

This entirely depends on your preference - are you looking for something to protect in transport or just while in use? Unfortunately, most cases aren't good at both.

3. MrMacUser macrumors newbie

The Speck hardshell should fit the 2014 MBA just fine. I have the one made by Incase and the only minor issue is one of the mics is covered up on the side. If the Speck was updated for the 2013 model this should be resolved since the 2013 and 2014 MBAs have the same body. If you wanted more protection you could get a sleeve but I find the hardshell adequate since I transport it in my briefcase.

4. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I just picked up a clear Speck case. It fits perfectly.

I had heard good things about the iPearl cases, but the one I got from Amazon didn’t quite fit. The bottom kept coming loose, so I returned it and got the Speck. I’ve had great success with the Speck cases for all of my Apple products.

5. cerberusss, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014

cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Couple of months ago, I got a Speck case too, after messing with some Chinese stuff. But to my surprise the Speck its bottom case now is getting somewhat loose as well. Hope your mileage varies.

6. cshel24 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. The case is mostly to keep away scratches, marks, and stuff like that sitting around the house. I have been pretty happy with the Speck case I have on my MacBook Pro, I just didn't know about if the stuff they have for sale would fit a most recent generation MacBook Air. I had a "naked" MacBook (white) and the poor thing was covered in scratches.

For transporting (which is not too often, I have an old school laptop case).

7. satish030587 macrumors newbie

8. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I'm considering this case. The youtube video you liked to has a couple criticisms of the case. Do you agree with them? They are:

9. iterva, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014

iterva macrumors regular

Short answer:
    Yes they will. "New June 13 model" and 2014 models are externally the same.

Long answer:
    With the 2013 MBAs Apple made them with 2 microphones (placed by the earphone jack) and this continued to the 2014 models. So only external difference between 2012 (not sure about the 2011) and 2013/2014 MBAs are the dual microphones.

Cases made specifically for the 2012 models will fit, but they also will "cover" the second microphone.

My recommendation is to check "Item model number" in the "Product Information" section on Amazon on those cases you are interested in and then search the manufacturers website with that number to confirm full compatibility.

10. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I had a Speck case for about a year, and recently replaced it with a Moshi iGlaze. The tabs which held the Speck to the base snapped off over time, and I'm very careful with my MBA. The Moshi seems to be made of better material and will hopefully last longer.

$0.02 worth.

11. outlawarth macrumors regular

+1 for the Moshi iGlaze. I also had both and much prefer the Moshi.

12. satish030587 macrumors newbie

The STM is currently out off stock for nearly a month in India. But I am really satisfied with the product. You can also try moshi case it's good.