New MBA, what to do with MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by T-bag, Jul 24, 2011.

1. T-bag Guest

Hi all!

I'm a computer enthusiast, but I might have overstepped my bounds now. I bought a 17" MBP back in march 11', to replace my old faithful 13" MB and windows desktop. Today, needs for portability have returned, and a new 13" MBA is on its way. As you might think, the MBA can't fully (but almost) replace my current setup (17" MBP).

I don't like the idea of just having the MBA. MBA+iMac seems like the way to go. But I simply don't know if it would be beneficial to sell my MBP and purchase an iMac. After checking finn (pretty much Norway's version of ebay/cragislist), I've learned that I'll get about 75-85% of the initial costs back if I sell my MBP. That means, that if I want to swap it for a decent iMac, I must pay for it with my MBP and a noticeable amount of money. Also, I have a 24" Samsung Monitor hooked up to my mac.

The 17" I currently own is a powerful machine that satisfies all my demands, except for being a little to heavy for school every day. Would you pay extra to turn it into an iMac? Do you have any other solutions? The only constant in my setup is a 13" MBA with the i5 cpu and 256GB of storage. All inputs will be much appreciated.

2. itanibro macrumors newbie

I'm wondering why you would want to sell your 17" MBP for an iMac? Just keep the MBP. Since your MBA will be used on the go, keep the MBP on your desk at home.

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Yes, use your MBP + monitor as a desktop at home. Although this is not a very neat setup, it saves money.

If you want a neater setup while saving some money, sell you MBP for a new Mac Mini.

4. T-bag thread starter Guest

I know, it's an obvious question. It would prepare me for any portable AND performance needs. Just feels a little weird having two laptops. But given the situation where I'm already in the possesion of a new, top specced MBP (although 6 months old on the market), it might be the only real solution. Thank you for pointing it out. I realize this post was a little silly and meant to give me selfassurance.

A thank goes to you too, FrankHahn, but I'm afraid a MacMini wont do.

I don't easily take this sort of decisions. I consider this matter solved now, but don't hesitate to contribute if you have any other hidden, genious solutions. :p