New MBA/win 7 pc or 27" ACD with 13" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rnelan7, Oct 21, 2010.

1. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

Well folks, as we all know the new 11.6 Macbook Air came out yesterday. I am very interested in this device because I think it will do well with my needs (internet, itunes, email). Right now I have a 13" 2.4 Macbook Pro and was planning on saving for a 27" Cinema display for more screen real estate. Now since the new MBA is out I figured I can sell my MBP and pick up a new MBA with little money lost and then build my own win 7 pc with a monitor. I figured it would be about the same price. The win 7 pc would be for any heavy lifting that occasionally need to do such as gaming and video encoding with handbrake. So I am asking your opinion, what would you do? Is it worth it to sell my MBP and get a new 11.6 MBA and build a pc or is it better to just get a beautiful 27" ACD?

Here is a short pro's con's that I can think of

MBA/Win 7
    Pros
    Great mobility with mba
    MS Office on win 7 (Excel for Mac is horrendous and I use it frequently)
    Win 7 pc would have large storage
    Win 7 extra pc to encode while I can use the MBA in the meantime

Cons
    Smaller screen real estate with a likely 24" monitor I would get
    Sacrifice mobility power and space
    Minor agitations of win 7 (viruses, errors, etc.)
    No keyboard back lighting on MBA

MBP/ACD
    Pros
    Simplicity of only one computer
    Nice big screen with high resolution
    Not have to deal with windows

Cons
    MBP would be useless when encoding video
    Possible overkill of 27" screen

Thank you in advance

:apple:

2. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Why not just keep your MBP and you can still build your Win 7 PC and buy a monitor. Seems that the MBP more than meets your needs for a portable device. Unless you're desperate for more portability that the MBA offers there is no reason to sell you MBP for a MBA.

3. rnelan7 thread starter macrumors 6502

rnelan7

Valid point but I could sacrifice the power of my MBP and get the MBA knowing that I would have the win pc to back me up when need be. The trade off for the size and weight would be worth it to me.

Edit - I suppose I wouldn't mind just building a win pc and getting a refurb 24" then just keeping my mbp. What do you think the chances are they will still be available around February?

4. mikeb13 macrumors member

Keep the 13" MBP and get the 27" monitor. Just Bootcamp Win 7.