New MBA with ArchiCAD and new AutoCAD for mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Toonbay, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Toonbay macrumors 6502

Toonbay

Whitley Bay, North East UK (God's Country)
    Hi
    I'm running AutoCAD for mac 2011 and ArchiCAD great on my iMac but would also like a MBA or MBP to work while away from home

Main question is do you think the 13 inch MBA will run these programs ok, had a look at the system requirements and appears they would but any comments would help before I take the plunge

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Is the screen res going to be enough for CAD work. You might be better served with the high res 15" Pro.

3. Toonbay thread starter macrumors 6502

Toonbay

Thanks for quick reply, these are the things I need to know, I think a trip to the store and chat with staff may be in order + to check out the screen etc

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Drop your monitor's resolution to match the Air and see how cramped it feels.

5. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I suggest you call the store before you make the trip. I just called the Apple Store in Penn Square Mall in OKC and the guy who answered told me (1) that they have not yet received the new MBAs, (2) they don't know when they will get them, and (3) they don't know anything about their details.

6. Toonbay thread starter macrumors 6502

Toonbay

Well I've been reading all night and the specs are fine for both programs, leaning towards 13 inch with 256gb flash, will eventually upgrade the ram to 4gb if I go with this

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The RAM in macbook airs is soldered to the motherboard. If you want 4GB of RAM, you must custom order it from apple.

8. Toonbay thread starter macrumors 6502

Toonbay

Ah ok cheers for that, good to know, ArchiCAD min is 2gb so should be ok

9. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I would not do that. If you have to, wait a little while and save up for the extra RAM. Once you go 2 gb, there is no upgrade.

10. Toonbay thread starter macrumors 6502

Toonbay

well my 13 inch 2Gb, 256 Gb turned up this morning, runs ArchiCAD 14 , AutoCAD 2011 for mac and office 2011 like a treat !!! very very happy with it and the screen is amazing!!