New MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DAJSuperDawg, Apr 8, 2012.

  1. DAJSuperDawg macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2012
    #1
    Folks,

    Soon will be very new to the mac family as I'm considering waiting until the refresh of the 2012 Macbook Air. Unfortunately, I'll need to buy one by the middle of June for a trip In taking. I want to use it download hundreds of photos I'll take on my vacation. I could wait even longer and use my netbook, but that's a painful experience to say the least. How much, if any, do you expect the spec bump to be on the new air, and will it come out in time for my mid-June need. From my readings, I think it will not and I'll be stuck with the 2011 model. I'm also considering a refurb unit to save some $$$.
     
  2. Kendo macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2011
    #2
    If all you'll need the computer for is to store photos on your trip, I don't see why you can't use your netbook and just wait for the refresh? I think you'll be filled with immediate regret once you come back from your trip and the refresh hits. Besides, you'll be too busy enjoying your trip to have any fun with the MacBook Air so just use the netbook.
     
  3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

    Medic278

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #3
    Well the current machines are plenty capable and quite powerful. They will continue to be powerful and capable after the update is released, this update is not so major as to make the current gen obsolete. The performance boost will likely be marginal, similar to the CD to C2D, not huge like C2D to the current intel core i. I have one of the current gen machines and its great. If you buy one now you'll be very happy. After all its only rumor and speculation, its was a "lock" according to many that the update would come in march, and march came and went with nothing. You could be sitting on your hands until Christmas for all we know. Buying refurb is a great idea and you can save a handsome some of money doing. Some people knock buying refurb but it really is an economical way to go. Apple thoroughly tests every product before placing it up for sale and they come with 1 year of applecare. Further Apple refurb products are also eligible for you to purchase additional applecare on. I would not buy an open box, refurb or return from another store. Always buy your refurb products from Apple, its the safe smart way to go. Well I hoped this helped and good luck deciding whats right for you.
     
  4. yetieater macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 6, 2007
    Location:
    USA
  5. warfed macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2011
    #5
    If you want to save some money get the refurb now as the new units won't be available as refurbs for a few months after release. But if you're willing to pay full price then I would definitely wait for the refresh. Yes the current gen is nice (I have one) but the next gen will be even nicer. USB3, faster CPU and GPU and potentially cooler and quieter.
     
  6. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

    jmgregory1

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago and a few other places around the world
    #6
    Buy the current model now, enjoy it for the next 60 days. If Apple releases a new upgraded model in between now and your trip - so what? Keep what you have, then return and put your gently used 2011 mba up for sale. It will hold its value just fine and if you have to eat a couple hundred for the use of the computer - so be it.

    Or get one now and don't worry about the update.

    Or wait for an unknown number of days/weeks/months until Apply may or may not update the mba and the update may or may not be significantly better than the existing model. I mean the difference between 2010 and 2011 models is full of trade-offs. Faster processor on the '11's, better battery on the 10's.

    I always say to get what you want/need today and enjoy it. Don't worry about what may or may not be coming out. Unless Apple announces a new mba with a delayed availability date, there is no reason not to get what you want today. If they release something in the next two weeks, return it for an exchange or as I noted, just keep using it and enjoy!
     
  7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #7
    In general, my advice would be that you should buy it if you need it, and wait (for the update/refresh/new model) if you merely want it.
     
  8. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #8
    Wait or you'll be sorry in a month or two. Buy used or refurb if you buy now.
     
  9. hbtd macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2011
    #9
    I bought a refurb 2011 11'' in Jan and I'm very happy with it. I wanted a refurb to save money so I had to wait until they were available. I remember they started showing up in Nov but Xmas forced me to wait. As someone said, if you want refurb you will have to wait about three months after general available.
     
  10. thestickman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2010
    Location:
    Jacksonville, FL
    #10
    Loving my 11" that we bought last week. Glad we didn't wait.:)
     
  11. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2011
    #11
    Since you need it now, get one now. You can always sell it later, more of a trouble and will have to spend a bit more but you need a computer now.
     

Share This Page