Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Are they actually coming in June? Rumor only? Any info on processors? Anyone using MBAs for Logic Pro work?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
we all wish we knew.

there's plenty of info on the possible/probably CPUs, simply search the forum.

as for Logic, good luck trying to get any responses there. there are a few random threads out there (google) from even 11" MBA users using Pro Tools, etc., for basic stuff. SoundOnSound (i don't know much about them) did a review of the 2010 13 MBA that seemed to validate it as a humble music production machine. with music, i think it depends a lot on what you do. (lots and lots of VSTs? you need more CPU. not so many? most current computers should be fine.)

i'm a musician myself, holding out for Sandy Bridge. i think i could get by on the current 13" Air, but i think Sandy Bridge will make for a much better machine, for music, video, etc.

joeya123

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2011
Who knows!

And yes, I use my 13" (4gb) for logic pro. Handles really well, had a project running about 30 audio tracks with minimum 4-5 effects on the majority of the channels and there was no issues with overload etc.

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
i wish we could hear more from people making music on the Air.

to elaborate slightly, again, from what i've read, i think the current 13 MBA would do the trick for a lot of music production, and certainly for 'light' work. joeya123's report seems sufficient to evidence that.

the 11 is another story, with its weaker CPU and its much more cramped screen. a part of me longs for the 11, for its size and weight, (and adorableness), and i think one could adjust to the screen, but the screen on the 13 allows for so much more, its hard to rationally choose against it.

the CPU point will hopefully soon be moot, after the refresh so many of us have been waiting for (and others dreading). hopefully either machine will be quite capable, though, if all goes as expected, the 13 will be in a different power class, in which your question may not even apply! ... of course, that remains to be seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.