New MBP 13' 5k support

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mais78, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Mais78 macrumors regular

Does the 13" model support 5k monitors like the Dell 2715K?

I read in the past that you need Displayport 1.3 to run a 5k monitor on a single cable and that would only come with Intel Cannonlake chips. So far only the 15" with dual cable could run that monitor (that until recently was the only 5k external monitor). The 13" model not even on two cables could run it.

Now I read that also the new MBP 13" supports 5k but then an Apple employee told me instead that only the 15" model does.

I am totally confused. Someone got the answer?

2. justinf77 macrumors 6502

13" supports one 5K display or two 4K displays. 15" supports two 5K displays or four 4K displays.

3. Mais78 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, so if I understand correctly, Thurnderbolt 3 is good enough to run 5k in multistream, while we have to wait for Displayport 1.3 (cannonlake) to run 5k on a single stream with one cable.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/01/15/apple-5k-thunderbolt-display/

"Apple won't release the first Macs with Intel's new Skylake chips and Thunderbolt 3support until later in 2016, and only those models will be able to drive a 5K display at 60Hz over one cable. While that makes a 5K Thunderbolt Display a possibility in 2016, Apple has good reason to wait until at least 2017.

Intel's Skylake processors for Mac notebooks, launching in early 2016, and Kaby Lake processors, expected to launch in the first half of 2017, will not be able to drive a 5K Thunderbolt Display over Single-Stream Transport (SST). The underlying issue is that both processor lineups lack support for DisplayPort 1.3."
    --- Post Merged, Nov 15, 2016 ---
    Remains to be seen whether the Dell monitor will work as it required a fancy set up.

4. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

DP 1.3 should be supported by Thunderbolt standard as well. It's impossible to deliver DP 1.3 over TB3 right now, so it'll require a big change. I wouldn't expect DP 1.3 being adopted fast by both laptop and screen manufacturers because 5K screens are still a luxury and MST is a viable solution for now.

5. Mais78 thread starter macrumors regular

You don't expect the Cannonlake MBP to support DP1.3?
    I think it is the other way around: DP1.3 is what display manufacturers are waiting for before they start producing 5k monitors for the mass market.