New MBP 13" acting weird

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macsr1, Apr 20, 2010.

1. macsr1 macrumors member

So I went from PC to Mac this last Friday when I bought the new 13" MBP. Let me first say its a beast especially for my needs and I love it....buuuut...

Last night all I was doing was simple web browsing with a couple tabs open when the screen just froze. The mouse, nothin would move. I turned it off let it sit, then turned it back on a couple minutes later and the start up process took FOREVER. Well, 5-6 minutes to be specific, but that isn't normal. It went from the white screen with the apple on it, to a blue screen, back to a white screen, then to the blue screen before it finally lit up the black keys and started up.

From there I had to wait a minute before I could open any application otherwise it would freeze. It still works at a good speed when I'm keeping my multitasking to nothing (my multitasking is safari, itunes, pages). When I open up like 3-4 tabs on safari is when it started to give me the spinning colored wheel again.

I've reboot 3 times since last night and its still slow (both the start up process and lagging when attempting to open multiple tabs)
    If I just run 1 or 2 tabs the computer is pretty fast aside from a couple of things I try.

Before last night though the thing was a beast and had hardly ever slowed up so I have no idea how it went haywire so randomnly.

Any clues, advice?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try OnyX

That sounds like a hardware issue though, if OnyX doesn't help, get a replacement

3. Pax macrumors 6502a

It depends how much time you want to spend.

(a) lots of time
    - run Onyx
    - run Hardware Test
    - download iStat Pro and look at temperatures to see if your CPU is overheating
    - reset the SMC and PMU
    - boot into safe mode
    - boot from the install DVD
    - etc etc etc

(b) no time
    - take it back and get a replacement.

I agree with Hellhammer. This close to purchase, I would favour (b). It ought to work brilliantly straight out of the box. You don't need the hassle of diagnostics.

A bad start to your Mac experience. I think you've been very unlucky though, the products are normally pretty good.

4. macsr1 thread starter macrumors member

Definitely understand that not every piece of hardware they use and every mac they make isn't going to be perfect.

I still loved what I saw when it did run smoothly and hope to get a replacement when I call soon.