New MBP 13" - battery already only 94%

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArthurS, Sep 5, 2009.

1. ArthurS macrumors newbie

I bought a 13" MBP from the Apple Online Store this week, and even though I have only used it for a few days the battery capacity is only 94% (after 4 cycles). I calibrated the battery this night and reset the SMC, to no avail. I know 94% is not bad, but shouldn't it be 100% on a brand new notebook? Especially since these should last 1000 cycles?

If I take it to an AASC will they replace it? Or will they give me the '300 cycles/80%' line?

Attached Files:

2. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Drain it some then charge it fully again. My health seems to jump around some.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not even worth taking to the store for a replacement. Battery capacity-reporting software is fairly inaccurate to begin with, and while 6 percentage points seems a little high, it's not unreasonable to think that the battery actually at 100% capacity.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I posted in a similar thread a couple of weeks ago with the same issue. After putting in a SSD and aside from the battery health, everything else on the unit was great so I decided to keep it and worry about the battery issue later.

Well my batter has slowly creeped up. It was steady for days at 92-94%. Since just using it and charging as needed my health has increased to a steady 98% with one 99%.

I say just use it the way it is and see where it goes. They jump around a little more than one would expect.

Attached Files:

5. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I've been wondering about contacting support about my 13" MBP's battery, as after 49 cycles its now down to 95% capacity after 3 months usage (max capacity is now 5201mAh).

I've calibrated the battery a few times in that period to no real effect.

6. glavoie84 macrumors regular

5168 mAh/5450 mAh here (94% too)
    45 cycles
    3 months

I wouldn't worry about it unless it drops quickly under 90%.

7. wez99950 macrumors member

my laptop is 5 weeks old (in my possession for 2 days) and it's down to 96% with only 1 cycle and calibrated, that normal?

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Yes, normal. Mine was new at 100%, then 96% on day two. Cal. and it went down to 92-93%. It's been working it's way back up slowly. I got a treat today:

Attached Files: