New MBP 13 Battery health

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wrightpd, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Wrightpd macrumors newbie

Hi all

I need a little advice, I purchased a brand new MBP 13 from buyer, after 5 days and 3 charge cycles the battery dropped to 85% health, was concerned when it had only 97% stright out of the box so I returned it as a battery fault and had it replaced.

The replacment seemed to be a lot better as it had 100% health out of the box and stayed like that for the first 3 days, on day 4 it droped to 89%.

The BatteryHealth app states the battery is 8.9 months old.

Am i being concerned over nothing, should I return it again, will it sort itself out.

should i stop worrying about battery health (knowing that i ahve apple care should he problem become worse) and just enjoy my MBP.

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    That's not the age of your battery. That's the age of your Mac.

3. Wrightpd thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, when i check the age of the mac from its s/n it shows it was "born" in Oct 2012 which is only 3 months ago, not the 8.9 that the battery states

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's the date your Mac was built, not the day it was bought. Also, if you're using coconutBattery, that app is known to have accuracy issues. Other apps may have issues with age accuracy, as well.

5. kensic macrumors 6502

lol i just received a new MBP 15 mid 2012. and my battery health also states that my batter is 9.8 months old. lol, thats gotta be a mistake. its been 5 days and my battery health is 109% according to the same app.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only app I recommend is Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more.

A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

7. Wrightpd thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, I do use istat's pro. it shows the battery at 90% design cap 5770, current cap 5232