New MBP 13" - Black screen after waking up from sleep with connected Dell display!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Icaras, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I have a 2 month old 13" MBP which I absolutely love. The only hitch is that there is an oddity when connected to my Dell 2008wfp display. It only happens when I wake the MBP from sleep. A number of things happen sometimes. Usuaully, when I wake the MBP from sleep, i get a black screen on both displays and all I can see and control is the cursor. Sometimes the main display will be black, but the MBP display will show the desktop wallpaper, but again, I can only see and control the mouse cursor. It should also be worth mentioning that the keyboard is rendered non-functional as well.

Sometimes, OS X will appear on both displays, with mouse cursor active, keyboard inactive, but I am unable to click anything or interact with anything OS X.

Anyway, I'm at the point where I need to mention this because it happens quite frequently and its getting rather annoying. The only way I can get out of this hang, is to cold reboot the machine. It happens everyday and at least 50% of the time I wake the MBP from sleep. When not connected to the display, I never get this occurrence. Also, this display worked perfectly when I used to own the classic 15" MBP, so its hard for me to pinpoint what exactly is the anomaly that is happening.

Anyone else experiencing this same issue? I am using a mini display port to DVI adapter to the Dell display. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

sleeping pills.....maybe ?

jk...is there a usb hub in the monitor plugged into the mac?

your using vga now ?

3. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

lol. Yea actually the dell serves as a USB hub and I'm using all 4 USB ports. I was thinking about that actually
    but wasn't sure. If it is a hub, what devices would be considered safe and stable to go through the monitor? If I just left my keyboard connected to the display, that shouldn't cause problems, should it?

And no, I am still going through the DVI and mini display port adapter.

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

the hub is not the issue i dont think, but a device plugged into it.

the device is causing it to wake up because its looking for input or something...list your devices and maybe i can help.

5. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Thanks. Sure, I have three midi controllers and my apple keyboard plugged in.

The three midi controllers are an M-Audio Axiom keyboard, a Native Instruments Kore 2 controller, and finally an Evolution UC-33e controller.

I have a feeling it might be the Kore controller because it's the only USB device that needs a driver installation in order to work properlly. The other two controllers are USB class compliant.

Not sure if that means any though. I could be mistaken.

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i dont know much about the audio instruments(recording interfaces), but it sounds like one of those devices is waking the machine.

your theory might be right. give it a try.

you might just have to unplug the usb hub before sleeping. or maybe there is an option to stop the device from waking the machine ?

just some idea's

7. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Oh I'm not having a problem about the device waking up the machine. In fact, it behaves well and never does so. Its only when I consciously wake up the MBP myself, that the display will occasionally hang.

Ok, so I just disconnected my Kore controller and that seemed to be the problem! I just put my MBP to sleep four times and woke it up, without any issue. Though, it remains to be seen if there is an issue of the MBP is sleeping over a certain period of time. I will observe the MBP and display behavior over the next couple of days.

If it isn't Kore, then it most definitely has to be one of the USB devices, or a combination of devices. Thank you very much for reminding me of it. I'm quite certain I'll get to the bottom of this issue now, with a little of testing and trial and error with my devices. I almost forgot that sometimes third party devices sometimes don't like to play nice :eek:

Anyway if the issue returns, I'll make sure to chime in again.

Thanks again MacMod! :)