New MBP 13", Enough for my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Daiken, Apr 13, 2010.

  1. Daiken macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2010
    Hello everybody!

    First of all I would like to apoligize if there is any post before that reminds you of this one. I've tried to find one similiar but no one happens to be about the new released MBP.

    So, to the point. I'm new to mac, never owned one and after over 16 years with Windows i've considered to change over to mac!

    So here is the question:
    I'm a student and will be going abroad to China for studies in language. A side from the language studies i will be using the computer for some web browsing, web-cam talk with my girlfriend and i will also be using the computer for Photoshop, indesign and some light web-design.

    Would a MBP 13" low-end be enough for my needs?

    The price compared to the "old" 13" is almost the same so that is not an issue. or should i just skip it and look for another computer or save up for a 15"? i like the portability of the 13" thought.

    Thanks in advance for answers :)

    Best regard,
  2. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

    Jun 30, 2007
    The ONLY thing you might consider is the higher resolution and real estate provided with the 15" model for photoshop.

    If screen size isn't an issue then I see no reason why the 13" version would not be fine for you.
  3. Daiken thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2010
    Wow, Thanks for the fast response!

    No, the screen size will not bother me since im already on a 12" laptop atm and i'm loving the small one. I used to have a 15" before but it was a bummer to carry with me everywhere.

    So the C2D would be enough for some time ahead for my needs? cause i would not like to pay around 11 000 SEK (1100 Euro) for something that would not last more than a year :rolleyes: (Student :p)
  4. ttttttttttt9 macrumors member

    Jan 20, 2010
    I think you'll be fine with 13". I've been doing (light) photoshop for years on a computer with the same res as the 13" MBP (which I just ordered), and it has been perfectly fine.

    And you will definitely appreciate the extra portability since you are traveling.
  5. slycke macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2010
    sorry for jumping in like that but i'm facing a similar dilemma. was really hoping for the 13" mbp to go with the core i5. i have similar needs for my mbp, but would the 2.66ghz c2d processor be fine for, say the occasional game of l4d 2?
  6. Daiken thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2010
    Great to hear from another one :)

    My 12" right now just don't cut it when using PS, usually im on my PC at home when I do the PS work. But since i'm going abroad to China (im from sweden) I will certainly not pack with me my PC :p

    Thanks guys, more comments are appreciated.

    Think I will be ordering the MBP 13" the end of this week then if no one can come with a really great argument why it would not fit me :p
  7. Daiken thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2010
    No problem mate, I would just be happy if my thread would help you.

    PS. I personally don't think the 2.66 is worth the money, but that's just me :p I was considering the same thing before. And i would love to know if i could play L4D 2 on the low end 13" also :cool:
  8. Daiken thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2010
    btw, i would appreciate if someone could tell me if the new CS5 will run smoothly on the new MBP 13" ? or am i better of with saving money for a 15"?
  9. coryndiego macrumors regular


    Aug 6, 2008
    San Diego, Ca.

    I just bought a 13" 2.26 2gb a month ago and it's been perfect for my needs... Of course I would like the extra 2 gb ram and a larger HD... the processor speed doesnt seem to be too big a jump but the graphics and battery seem like a considerable upgrade. Should I sell my one month old machine and upgrade? I only spent 1094- out the door. If I get 950 for it then upgrade at academic pricing it will pay for the extra RAM and HD and get the graphics, battery and processor upgrades too. Hmmmm.. any thoughs? will it be worth it? Thanks
  10. chkenwing macrumors regular

    Jan 27, 2010
    You might as well save the hassle and do the upgrades yourself.

    The CPU bump isn't exactly going to be the difference of night and day, and neither will the graphics.

    Slight performance upgrade but imo, not worth the hassle of selling/buying.
  11. dvfred macrumors newbie

    Apr 9, 2010
    Why not contact the Apple Store and explain the situation, most likely will upgrade you to the new MBP, may have to pay a restocking fee...
  12. macgeek18 macrumors 68000


    Sep 8, 2009
    Northern California

    It should be fine,that's what I will be doing this fall for college,I'm getting the 2.4 13" MBP,I'm going to use a student discount and hopefully get a iPod Touch with it as I need another one.I probably couldn't justify a 15" i5 MBP with my college grants,but a base line MBP,yes.
    (I would also like to keep my MB if I can.) :p
  13. coryndiego macrumors regular


    Aug 6, 2008
    San Diego, Ca.
    I bought it at the University bookstore and apple wont take merchandise that was not bought at an apple store...if I'm not mistaken. good thought though.
  14. dendritic cells macrumors member

    Apr 13, 2010
    Boston MA
    If you have time maybe you can wait for 13" benchmarks in the coming days, and I'm quite sure people will try to run CS5 on those.

    is kinda discussed here as well

Share This Page