New MBP 13 - flimsy bottom case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnonyMac, Jun 22, 2009.

1. AnonyMac macrumors newbie

First post - so go easy - especially as I'm starting with a possible whine...

I have the new 13 MBP. I've noticed that there is a little bit of give in the bottom case at the centre. The edges are fine - they're solid. It's just right in the middle there's about 1mm of springy movement which stops when the pressure causes the case to hit the innards. It's quite springy - almost to the point that it feels like the case might not withstand normal usage.

I notice this when picking the machine up and I guess that it is due to the redesigned case not having any support where there used to be the battery comprtment...

Anyone else have this? Should I bother?

2. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Interesting. You should make a video of it and post it on youtube for us to see. Anyone else dealing with this? I'll have to go to the apple store and play with one, see if it does it as well.

3. cababah macrumors 68000

Funny you mention that, I JUST noticed it last night as well when I went to pick it up and noticed a sound/slight play on the bottom near the center. If you handle it properly though, I don't see it being an issue.

4. I3roknI3ottle macrumors member

I have a 13" mbp and this issue is non existent for me.

5. zsnow macrumors regular

13' uMBP here too. Can't reproduce your problem.
    I raise the bottom didn't feel any sound or play. Maybe if i push hard... but i won't

6. yphsilon macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I have the same problem with a new MBP 15. When I slightly press the central area of the bottom of the case it makes a 'click' noise and the case flexes inwards...

Should I hit the store to check this out? Did anyone already do?

7. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Mine kinda feels the same, I was surprised how thin it was when I removed it, really like pop can aluminum. I was almost tempted to bend the piece in my hand as thin as it was, but then I realized it attached to my $1,000 machine and it would be in my best interest to leave it unbent. :p

8. AnonyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies folks...

So that's about a 50/50 split of having the issue and not.

I have already had the case off to install a new hdd so I'm pretty sure it's seated ok

I'm near the glasgow applestore on friday - so i might go in there and feel some bottoms :D and report back here

9. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

i have the 13" and i can't reproduce this issue either

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Keep us posted, I'm very close to picking up one of these for the gf but the word flimsy doesn't sound so appealing..:eek:

11. orrelse44 macrumors regular

Mine, same. It isn't something I'm concerned about though.

12. nizmoz macrumors 65816

The center of the cover does not press against the center of the laptop internals. It leaves about a 1/4 to 1/2" gap of flex. I have removed mine and it is obvious that it's there to protect the internals of the laptop from damage. It gives it space to move.

13. 8theapple macrumors regular

It's a big thin piece of aluminum, so having flex in the middle would be perfectly normal...would it not?

14. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

a lot of people have noticed this - its the latches that aren't tight and there is a thread on this already.... can't remember what it was titled though :confused:

15. nizmoz macrumors 65816

There are no latches on the bottom cover. :rolleyes:

16. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

My new 17" does the same. The bottom panel creaks if I push on it.

17. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

there sure are pal - how do you think the cover stays attached?!

the slide on the cover releases the latches that hold the cover on - flip your MBP over :confused:

18. nizmoz macrumors 65816

The cover stays attached with screws. I have taken it off and there are no latches. We are talking about the new June 2009 model not the old one. :rolleyes:

19. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I had this problem on my new MBP 13. I opened up the case to figure out what the problem was....

Basically, there are a large number of collapsible bronze "pins" on the motherboard. Their purpose is to make contact with the bottom casing and absorb the shock of any impact so that it does not damage the motherboard.

For some reason, one of these pins in my machine was making a terrible clicking noise every time it collapsed (basically anytime i picked up the computer).

The solution I found was to stick a little soft adhesive piece of foam on the bottom aluminum plate, forcing the pin to stay collapsed. That solved the issue. You'll notice several pieces of similar foam like objects on the bottom case that perform the same function.

20. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

We might be talking about 2 different things - I am talking about the battery/HDD cover.

21. Smacky macrumors 6502

Old unibody has a latch with a separate bottom piece
    New unibody does not - it is one whole bottom piece

22. nizmoz macrumors 65816

You are the one that is lost. Again we are talking about the new unibody that has no battery/hd cover.

23. AnonyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

well i went into the apple store today... Got a few strange looks from the staff as I went about lifting up all the mbps and prodded their bottoms :eek:

1 of the 13s (out of 8) and 1 of the 17s (out of 4) had thee same issue but nowhere near as pronounced. So I reckon mine must have a problem - I'll take it in at some point.