New MBP 13" for $999, good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockman1992, Mar 14, 2010.

1. rockman1992 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new MBP and I'm low on cash. I'll be using the MBP primarily for writing\compiling code C++, Matlab Photoshop. I'd like to invest in a computer that will last me 5 years. So, should I pick up the current base 13" model for $999 or should I wait for the new one and buy it for $1100?

Is $999 for the current one a good deal?

Thanks

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Where can you get it for $999? I know with the student discount they are $1099.

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

4. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Geez guys, they are $999 with a one year warranty in the refurb store.

If you don't have use for, and don't think you can afford a new MBP when they release the new updated ones than ya go for it.

5. needlz macrumors member

If you're low on cash and need a machine for the next 5 years, I'd go for a non-mac notebook (e.g. Thinkpad, HP Elitebook etc.) OR wait for the new ones to arrive.. but it might get july until they arrive. Anyways, it's hard to predict what'll happen in the next 5 years.. ;)

6. johncozen macrumors member

Got mine for $999 this week and couldn't be happier.

7. TheStigger macrumors newbie

TheStigger

I bought a second hand 13"MBP from Ebay and absolutely love it. it was £729 though, a lot more than $999!

I do intend in selling it again though when the new models come out. Id love to keep it, will see how funds are nearer the time.

8. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

It's $999 at my University bookstore. Which could mean 1 of 2 things - either they are expecting new MBP's or spring quarter sales are typically slow, as many wait for summer (for a probable buy a mac get a free ipod after rebate deal).

My bet is the MBP is going to be updated within a month, since I've noticed that whenever my bookstore drops their price below educational pricing within a month new hardware is out.

If you're just going to write code, especially C++, a PC would be better for that task and cheaper.

9. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

I bought mine from the refurbished store for $999 and I love it. worth ever penny.

10. rockman1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies!

I'd also use Keynote\iWork etc heavily and I'd like a solid computer (I'm tired of ****** plastic laptop hinges that break) with a good keyboard and decent screen. I felt that the Apple is one of the only laptops with high build quality fr around 1k.

I'm getting it from University store. Do you think the price will drop below 1k after the new laptops are released?

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

microcenter is also offering them for $999.