New MBP 13" hard drive replacement voids warranty???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgnayim, Aug 14, 2009.

1. mgnayim macrumors newbie

does replacing the hard drive in the NEW macbook pro 13 voids the warranty???

since the newer MBPs there is no access door, so replacing the hard drive requires opening the case. is that voids the warranty???

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

3. mgnayim thread starter macrumors newbie

I searched the forums and all I found was threads from 2006 and some from 2008, which are not relevant (I think) to the NEW MBP 13, so I started a new thread.... sorry.

thank you anyway

4. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

From what I've gathered, your safest bet is to put back in the drive from apple if you ever need it to be serviced. The same goes for RAM.

5. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

That doesn't make ANY sense. So if your Macbook has an issue, replace the drive and the ram and bring it to apple? How did you gather this?

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

That's exactly what I do. Apple geni-asses will almost always try and blame anything user supplied/serviced to avoid a fix. It's also a good troubleshooting test before actually taking/sending it in. This is also helpful in keeping your data yours.;)

7. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

he is 100% correct. if you have a problem (depending on what it is) and you bring it to a genius with a hard drive you put in, they COULD.... say you damaged something when you put the third party drive in.

it is sad but true. not saying that every genius will do this, BUT better safe than sorry...

8. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

If you screw up anything while doing it, then yes, you voided your warranty. If you replace your drive correctly, and everything is fine, then no, your warranty won't be void.

If this new harddrive craps out on you, yes, apple will not cover that drive (duh!)..

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The guy at the apple store kept telling me that the RAM was replaceable while the hard drive would void your warranty. I get my new MBP home and BAM one of the first thing I flip onto in the service book is how to replace the HDD.
    :rolleyes:

10. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Because Apple will blame it on 3rd party things, and AppleCare does NOT cover things you put in yourself.

11. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

I see what you guys are saying. Save time by not giving the apple store anything to blame your problem on but OEM hardware. I replaced both so cross my fingers I never have any problems.

Me: My "H" key wont wont work.
    Genius: It your hard drives fault.

lol

12. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

It's actually that new ram that you installed :rolleyes:

13. Rondue macrumors regular

Yea man you guys are 100% right man. some genius are screwed up man. They tried to blame me for the LCD having stuck pixels in the end they replaced the screen like any other company would have done. They made me so angry sometimes with the horse **** they try to pull on people.

14. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

In these hard economic times even Apple is trying to save a buck by screwing people over :)

They tend to forget that we spent A LOT of bucks to own one of these computers.

15. Rondue macrumors regular

True, its like come on dude its a screen issue replace it, why fight with me they lost me for apple care, I will never purchase it because of my experience with it. they lost a life time of me buying there service over a screen that cost them like 200 dollars.