New MBP 13" i7 upgrade ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jmoc916, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Jmoc916 macrumors member

Posted this in the wrong dang forum before../

I am currently looking into purchasing my first MacBook and was looking for opinions on the purchase. I have a separate laptop for gaming, and was looking into the portability of the smaller 13" MBP.

My question was how substantial are the upgrades I'm looking into... I would upgrade to the 16GB memory and the i7 3.3 processor but that brings my total to around $2500. I will mainly be doing excel, adobe, word and basically email tasks... with the occasional downloading and daily browser... I just am not sure what to expect out of a MBP and if upgrading these specs are necessary. Als if this machine can last me a few years.

Excuse my ignorance on computers. I've always had help from friends while setting them up, and want to be sure the money I put out on my first Apple computer keeps me going for some time.

2. spesifikbrush macrumors regular

spesifikbrush

If they bring the price up there, definitely get the 15" model. You say you mainly want portability. If you're not after some video editing and heavy Adobe application tasks, if it is just for light photo editing and stuff, get the base model with Touch Bar. Heck, even my base model without Touch Bar works with almost no hiccup on Photoshop!

3. keviig macrumors 6502

The i7 in the 13" is very poor value. If you need more performance than the i5 can deliver you should get the 15" which is quad core.

But your use case seems perfectly fine for a base model 13". You won't see much gain from either ram or cpu upgrades with your usage.