new MBP 13", laggy & hanging, mostly in games

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NewGenAdam, Apr 19, 2010.

1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

I bought a lovely refresh MBP baseline (tho not cheap!) and love it, really powerful computer. I installed Windows 7 and a couple of demanding games, which run beautifully smoothly. But despite the smooth graphics, they frequently hang during loading screens, and take an age to do anything. I can't figure out why this is!

Could it be a limit of the hardware - CPU, GPU, drive speed, RAM? Or of drivers, which seems more likely.

It's annoying. Has anyone else encountered this on a Mac, or any computer? -_-

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What games are you having those issues with?

Do you have enough HDD space left on the Windows partition?

3. ttran88 macrumors regular

If you didn't partition enough hard drive space onto your windows 7 bootcamp then that could be why its lagging. Or you don't have enough memory. Or mbp hates you.

4. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

it's the drivers. nvidia doesn't even have drivers for the 320m on their website. my sc2 game crashes all the time.

5. cys920622 macrumors member

Just out of curiosity OP, which games are you running on your 13"? I've been waiting around for at least 6 months for the refresh, and a few weeks now for them to come to Canada, and will probably be running games part time on my MBP also.

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Apple tells me that Doom 3 and Unreal 2004 run super good...

7. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

hey thanks for the replies, it would be good to get to the bottom of this so I and others affected can prod Apple for more drivers. Or replacements =p

My installation stuff, well, my Windows partition is 32GB with 10GB free, but the game is installed to another partition of 64GB with 50 free. Bad setup?

I'm using 32 bit so the not all 4GB RAM can be used. But I looked in task manager and the games weren't filling it.

I'm playing Just Cause 2 ^^ which runs smoothly high frames/s in-game, but hangs on every load screen. I also played Portal which hung in loads too.

8. iNeed macrumors newbie

I like this one haha. Ive been looking into possibly doing some gaming on here so I am interested in responses too. I already play my 360 and ps3 enough though