new MBP 13" lid gap??! :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pcomac, Jul 16, 2011.

1. pcomac macrumors regular

so i got a MBP 13" from microcenter last week and i didnt really examine it after i got it. but i fell off my chair today and i noticed there is a gap about 1 millimeter at the top left side. that area also gets warm when im using the computer. is this normal or is this caused by expanding battery???? also, in the place where its like a black bar, if you look up closely, you can kinda see the inside. i dont know if this is suppose to be like this. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
    i cant return it anymore because microcenter has a 7 day return policy. should i bring it to apple store?

2. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

The Genius Bar is free so there's nothing stopping you from taking it in to get peace of mind.

Don't fret, I'd be fussy if it was new too. ;)

3. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

but i got it from microcenter and i dont have apple care and the nearest apple store is like an hour away. do apple store fix stuff for you if you got it from microcenter? i really dont want to go but i dont know if this is a serious problem or a sign of something really wrong or is it normal? only the top left has a gap (.3 to 1 millimeter).

4. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

So you fell off of the chair or did your computer fall off the chair? Which part are you talking about with the black bar?

I assume you mean there's a gap when the lid is closed?

But yes, my computer gets warm on the left side. I can't remember, but I think that's where the HDD is. I've only been inside it once to replace it and I forget the layout when I'm looking at it while it's upside down.

5. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Rest assured that your MacBook Pro comes with 1 year of complimentary AppleCare and 90 days of telephone support.

I would recommend taking the unit into the Genius Bar at an Apple Store (if one is available in your area) or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to see if there is anything wrong with your Mac.

6. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

the computer didnt fall. only me. there is like a black rectangle on the side and if you lift the MBP you can kinda see the inside from the bottome of that rectangle. is this normal? am i the only one with the gap? i mean you barely notice it unless you really look at it and set it up against a white wall.

7. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

:eek: the gap disappears when i hold the MBP with my hand. but then shows up again when i put it down. :eek:

8. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Quite honestly I have no clue what it is you're referring to. You have a one year warranty on the computer through Apple. You can either take it to the Genius Bar or phone up AppleCare to send it in (shipping is paid) for evaluation.

I'd say just make an afternoon of it, take it to the Genius Bar and grab lunch or dinner while you're out that way.

9. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

the black rectangle whatnot is the only part of the MBP that is black. if you hold it up and look from down up, you can kinda see the inside. the black part is not closed from all sides. is this normal?

10. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

It sounds like the hinge cover may be slightly misaligned.

11. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Don't get testy. :p Why not take a picture and post it so we can all see what it is you're alluding to?

The hinge cover has some give to it, it can be slide left-to-right if that is what you're referring to.

12. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

13. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Use the little Paperclip [​IMG] icon when you compose your message to attach a picture.

14. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

If your problem is so small and the computer is so new, then by all means take it to the Apple Store and have them take a look at it. You don't want to have it become a bigger gap when it is out of warranty. Be sure to go online to apple.com and make an appointment to see a genius before making the hour long trek down there. Usually, you can get a Mac appointment the same day. And as has been stated, AppleCare is absolutely free for the first year, no matter where you bought it.

15. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

here is the gap in the lid

Attached Files:

16. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Looks normal to me. Does it open and close smoothly?

My 15" has a tiny gap on the right and no gap on the left. Again, if it bothers you, take it into the Genius Bar to get peace of mind but I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary.

17. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

it opens and closes fine :) ok i was worried because i read that expanding battery can cause lid to have gaps

18. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I've only seen it on old pre-unibody Macbook Pros that were using defective Sony cells, it affected the entire notebook industry (not just Apple). Plus, you'd have to have used the battery for some time (6mo-1yr) by then anyway. Consequently, Apple started designing their own cells, and the battery is supposed to last the life of the computer.

You might find this video interesting, it describes how they make the batteries: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6lLdFxiZPc

Anyway, enjoy your new Mac. :)

19. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

Expanding battery on a week old machine? Doubtful.

20. vakakush macrumors newbie

Here is a method to fix this issue

The image is from the Apple service guide. I don't take any responsibility if anything goes wrong. Do it at your own risk.I have done it myself and now my MAC's lid and body is aligned properly.:)

Download here: View attachment Lid Gap Fix.pdf