New MBP 13" Retina internet browsers are extremely slow?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vmv89, Aug 11, 2014.

1. vmv89, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

vmv89 macrumors member

vmv89

On the MBP 13" Retina all browsers (Chrome, Firefox and Safari) are running slow. Safari seems to work just a little better than others, but it is still very slow even when loading simple pages. Some pages load right away, but some take very long to load (1-2 minutes). When I use my 7 year old Toshiba laptop everything loads as fast. It is my first disappointment with newly purchased MBP.

How can I fix it?
    Do I need to change settings or install any additional programs/updates?

It is very disappointing that so powerful machine as MBP takes so long to load pages when compared to 7 year old Toshiba laptop which is on the same network. :mad:

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

How do you know its the macbook and not the network?
    Whats your connection speed and ping?

3. ixxx69 macrumors 65816

Much more info needed...

1. I suggest answering Meister's questions. No matter how fast the computer, it can't make your internet go faster. It's like driving a Ferarri but being stuck on a congested highway.

2. Are you saying that the Toshiba is the same speed as the MBP, or are you saying that the Toshiba is "normal" speed (whatever that is) and the MBP is MUCH slower than the Toshiba at loading web pages?

3. I'd suggest dropping the whole "MBP is a major disappointment" tone when you obviously don't have any idea what's going on - it's trollish and makes things adversarial. ;)

4. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

The MacBook and Toshiba are connected to same Wifi network and are sitting next to each other here on the table, but the load page time of Toshiba's Chrome browser is much faster.

Just checked speed test at speedtest.net and the results are shockingly low, especially when the check on the Chrome browser.
    BELOW ATTACHED SCREENSHOT FOR CHROME TEST AND SAFARI TEST BOTH ON MY MACBOOK PRO.

:eek:It is the first time I see it being so low. It is probably that Comcast network is slow at the moment, so will check again in a few hours. Usually I get 33 DOWN, AND 15 UP.

:)I AM SO HAPPY AND EXCITED TO SWITCH TO THE MAC FROM WINDOWS, SO NOT BLAMING IT ON MAC; JUST WANT TO KNOW IF IT IS MAC RELATED AND IF SO HOW TO FIX IT.

If anybody knows, if it is a network issue, how do I fix it?

----------

MacBook Pro is awesome!
    Just need to make everything work perfectly on it :)
    :apple:

Attached Files:

5. Meister, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

Maybe I am missing something here, but I can't make heads or tails of your speedtest results.

Were both of those tests conducted on your macbook?
    How far apart from each other were they taken, timewise?

I've found speedtest.net not to be very reliable. Maybe try another speedtest page.
    Also check the wifi connection speed in your router menu.

As a first troubleshooting try to restart your macbook and disconnect your router entirely from the power source for about twenty seconds. If you have the tb/ethernet adapter connect your rmbp directly to the router and see how that goes.
    See if you have any success and post your progress.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

There is some issue with your browser or wifi setup on the mac. Double check to see if they are on the same network for starters.

Reboot of everything is next.

Also, try safari - though I expect you will get similar results with this issue.

7. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

1).Both are taken in MacBook.
    2). One taken right after another.

I will take the test again later tonight or tomorrow and also will try to take test with ethernet cable.

THANKS!

----------

Both speed tests were done on MacBook; one on Safari (faster) and one on Chrome (extremely slow).

I have not done any speediest for Toshiba because there is clearly something wrong with a network speed, so I will wait until later to try the test again.

BUT, AS SEEN ON SCREENSHOTS, SAFARI IS STILL FASTER. (I love Chrome and hopefully the issue can be fixed).

Thank you!

8. reasonrulaz macrumors member

reasonrulaz

I experienced exactly same issue with my late 2011 mbpro ..

Try to change your wifi modem channel.. When i changed my wifi channel 11 to 10, it worked... ;)

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

oops - My Bad.... I thought one test was on Toshiba, one with Macbook. Just got confused.

So, the problem is with one browser vs the other on same MBP.

Ah... Chrome does have problems sometimes with the plugins. I did a google on that and disabled some and wham... all fixed.

10. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

Chrome without extensions/plugins is like a car without wheels for me.
    If this will come out to be the reason for slow loading pages, I do not know how will I be able to survive without Chrome and its extensions.:confused::)

11. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I do not think it is all extensions, just certain ones. I deleted/turn off and doing just fine.

12. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

Whenever having any network issues, the first thing to do is to restart (unplug for a brief moment) all network devices (routers, modems etc.).

Your speedtests look strange, I'd bet on router.

13. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

A simple piece of advice: Don't use Chrome when you're on OSX.

The OSX version is a complete resource hog and suffers from a number of problems the other versions don't.

14. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

What about Firefox?

15. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

I am definitely sure it's something to do with the router. Checked the speed today via ethernet and speeds are really nice. The problem is a WiFi signal. My router is located on the 1st floor, while the desk where I usually work is on 2nd floor.

Anyone know how to fix this problem with slow WiFi?
    Is there a dedicated sub-forum for issues like this?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

16. priesty macrumors newbie

Could do with knowing this myself

17. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Do you have a lot of other devices connected to the WiFi network and do they typically transfer a lot of data? Are there lots of WiFi networks in your area (when you press the airport icons, roughly how many networks show up)? Do you (and possibly close-by neighbours) use other wireless electronic devices that could be giving you interference like a cordless phone, wireless headphones?

What is the floor made of? Apart from being on different floors, how far is the router? Can you give us the router model as well so we can know on what technology it's operating?

Wifi problems can be simple fixes or sometimes a real headache to solve.

18. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

-My laptop and my smartphone are connected to the same WiFi network. Often in the evenings when everyone is home, 2 other laptops use the same wifi, but rarely at the same time.

-There are around 3-4 networks showing up in the Airport

-I use Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with the MacBook Pro. Can it interfere with Wifi signal? If so, how to fix it? Go back to the old wired keyboard?

-Floor is mostly made out of wood

-Laptop is located on the second floor, in the room directly about the router

-MOTOROLA-F1683

THANK YOU!:)

19. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

MacBooks are notorious for not liking certain routers. I have had very poor results in the past with D-Link routers, and mixed results with Linksys routers.

An old Netgear 3500L works flawlessly, and so does my current ASUS rt-n66u.

As someone mentioned before, try changing wireless channels. Jumps of 4 channels are the most recommended to avoid channel overlap with what could be causing you problems.

20. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

How is Time Capsule (which if I am not mistaken can function as a router as well)? Does it work well?

How and where do I go to change wireless channels? I will write down your recommended jumps of 4 channels, and will apply it as soon as I learn about how to do it.

Thanks!:)

21. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

I have never personally owned an apple router, but I am sure they work fine. Time capsules are overpriced though.

It all depends on what router you have, I really can't say anymore than it will generally be under the main wireless settings page.

22. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Firefox is fine, thou I personally use Opera.

23. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I can't find info on the MOTOROLA-F1683 you stated. If it's a bit too old, it's possible it doesn't support the speed your ISP is providing and that your Macbook can deal with. If you run the speed test with the computer right next to the router what kind of results do you get? This can help us determine if the router is even capable of delivering higher speeds and it's dealing with range and interference issues.

24. vmv89, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

Sorry, I could not find that router as well. I gave you the name I saw on AirPort list, but I guess that is not the model of the router.

On the front of the router it says SURFboard SBG6580. (I remember when I was buying this router 1-2 years ago, it had very good reviews).

I just run the speed test again with a laptop next to the router, and the speeds are really great. I just wish I could get that speed upstairs in the bedroom/office.

Thanks!

Attached Files: