New MBP 13" with SL upgrade issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swingerofbirch, Sep 5, 2009.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I just got a new MBP 13" that came without SL and received the UTD SL disc.

I set up the computer creating a user account with the Leopard set up assistant and then inserted the disc and began the install process. The computer was super loud. It felt and sounded like something is off balance with the disc drive.

It started the upgrade process from the desktop and then restarted itself. After starting up to the gray apple and spinning wheel, the screen went completely black (off). Up until that point the screen had been quite dim. I couldn't wake up the screen, but the computer was still on (I could hit the caps lock key and see it light up). I left it installing for about an hour or so because the DVD was still loudly spinning but I couldn't ever get the screen to turn on.

So I called Apple and the agent said that I must have a bad optical drive. I had a long day and I was too tired to even be upset. He was really rude to me, and gave me really bad advice. But the short of it is that I had to do a cold shut down of the computer about 15 times, which really annoyed me with a brand new computer. So the way it was left was that I had to bring it to an Apple Store, and that was after only having had it on for two hours. He said it was my fault because I hadn't upgraded the Mac from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 before starting the SL upgrade (uh huh).

So basically, the system was corrupted and couldn't start up from the SL disc. Every time after the point of the gray apple, it would go black again and the DVD would keep making loud sounds and then intermittent silence. And then I finally gave up and installed the restore DVD, which worked fine. During the installation of that the screen was still really dim, but afterward was normal. I put the SL disc back in and tried starting up from it. It was really noisy and took well over an hour but I finally was able to start up to the disc and able to install SL--but only after reinstalling Leopard and it took a long time and was noisy. At one point the agent had me erase the HD and install SL and I had the same problem then as well. It was only after reinstalling Leopard and then SL that it worked, but that could be a coincidence.

So anyway, now I have to install the applications again. But I am worried about the integrity of the system. The screen isn't too bright, and also was very dark. I went to the system preferences and saw it was set to Display. I switched it to Color LCD and it got a much nicer warmer look. But it's still dark compared to my previous MacBook. Why would there be two default profiles available?

I'm kind of annoyed. I don't know whether I had a bum disc or whether I have a bum optical drive that is too sensitive and noisy. And I don't know if I have a good quality install of SL. I should point out that the drive was silent during the Leopard install.

2. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I've now found a folder on the Macintosh HD called BaseSystem.pkg.157aPc43u. I guess it's from a failed install at some point. I called Apple and asked if I should still bring it in even though SL finally installed and the agent told me that it probably took a while to install SL because the computer was just getting used to the new operating system. And that was also the explanation for why the SL disc was so noisy (like shaking my desk noisy) and my leopard disc wasn't....hmmmm.....I hate the way things have started off with this new computer...and the screen seems so dim to me..I might just have to bring it into an Apple store to compare