New MBP 15" 2.66 or 2.8?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Master Fasmo, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Master Fasmo macrumors newbie

So here is the same old question but I would appreciate some fresh opinions. I am planning to buy one of the new MBP's this weekend. This will be my first mac!

I am trying to decide between the 15 inch 2.66GHz or the 2.8GHz model. I will be doing student discount so prices are $1,849 and $2,099.

I will be using this computer mostly for making websites and light video editing (final cut). Just for fun not professional.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I'm personally getting the 2.8 with the student discount. The graphics memory is double in the 2.8 if you want to play games. Plus it won't get outdated anytime soon, so it will retain it's resale value.

I think for 2,099 it's a bargain. If you want to play games get the 2.8. If not, get the 2.53

3. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

The extra 256MB of VRAM is negligible. If you're not a pro, just go with the 2.66. You won't notice the difference between the 2.66 and 2.8 in day to day use. It'll give you a few minutes faster rendering time.. but again, you're not doing anything professional work. Save yourself a few hundred bucks. The 2.66 is awesome machine. :D

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For $250 bucks, you're getting a faster CPU, a larger hard drive, more onboard cache (6mb vs. 3mb) and more vram.

Personally I'd go with the 2099 model because you're getting more bang for your buck. While you can get a larger hard drive for less after the sale, you cannot increase the cache, vram or cpu speed.

That's the basic logic I used to choose the then 2.53MBP over the lower-end model.