New MBP 15" doesn't sit level on the table

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miloquacious, Jun 24, 2009.

1. miloquacious macrumors member

Have had it less than a week and just now noticed it kind of rocks forward if I put pressure on the front right when typing.

Anyone else experience this?? Have tried on multiple tables including glass so I know it's not the table.

Might need to return, but a pain nonetheless...

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Wad up some paper and put it under one of the corners.

:D:D

Sorry, couldn't resist. You be warped m'man. Take that puppy back to the nearest kennel.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Take it back. It's unacceptable for it to wobble. It should sit flat to the table on all fours, provided that the table is even.

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Bingo. I have a table at my house that seems level, but clearly isn't because my Macbook Pro visits wobble-town every time I set it on that table. But on other tables? Stable.

5. miloquacious thread starter macrumors member

Ha! yeah, my g/f offered to get some of those plastic circular feet with adhesive from the other room to stick underneath. ....uh, no.

6. MADMAXX macrumors member

I posted this the other day, but the mods moved it into a thread so it got lost in the ether (thanks guys)
    I phoned Apple UK the minute I realised and its going back and Ive got a new one being built in China as we speak. Problem now is that I have to wait all over again. :(

7. Smoothie macrumors 6502

I have a Dell notebook that I received with a slight wobble. I fixed it myself by placing the notebook, lid open, on the edge of a table and gently pressing down on the base. It's completely level now, and has been running perfectly for a year and a half. Not a solution for the faint hearted.

8. miloquacious thread starter macrumors member

has anyone dealt with this? seems like a pain if I have to wait while they migrate data.... or hoping they'll swap the HD. even better, it's just to replace the rubber feet.

sticking something underneath is starting to feel like a better option ;)
    not really tho.

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Just backup and send her in. And verify that it is not just the table you have it on. Wouldn't that be something to get another one and have it do the same thing, then realize its your table.

10. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Dear,

I know such a issues are unacceptable, but sadly enough all MBP's have some minor imperfections. I wouldn't let it replaced that soon anymore if your screen and other parts are perfect. You never know what you get back, and might end up with worser issues, like dead pixels, or dust under screen or scratches.

I know it is unacceptable but we all know it now that getting a MBP is like playing the lottery. There is a moment you should accept what you have, else you might end up in a endless circle of replacing, calling Apple etc. All lost time where you could have enjoyed your new computer.

With best regards,
    Bas

11. jpma macrumors 6502

I totally agree the lottery part.

But when we paid this amount just as the same as everyone
    we really would like to receive the same quality equally.
    Although, this might be near impossible

I too got a wobble mbp that cannot sit event on my table.
    Sometimes, instead of changing parts which increase the possibility of coming back with another problem.

It would be best to request changing another unit.

Before I have my 15'' mbp screen changed 3 times
    and end up Apple change my whole mbp.

now I'm having a fear of using applecare in the future
    that once repair new problem pop up.
    The worst case is to find dent or small scratch that there's nothing you can do about it.

12. MADMAXX macrumors member

As I understand it you have only just received this?

I am in the same boat having just received my own. And I can assure you that I will continue to send them back (for a new replacement each time) until such time that I am happy. Or I will simply have my money back.

13. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

This is a simple fix

Loosen all the screws (don't remove them) on the bottom case.

Align the case so it fits better by pushing on it.

Tighten the center screws first, outer screws last.

That got rid of the wobble I had.

14. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Hey, in the old days when the feet on laptops were just plastic nubs tech support would just tell you to file one of them down a bit. :D

Lets hope the guy in China working on your new one doesn't use it as an ass cushion this time. :eek:

15. 2056 macrumors 6502

i was wondering if you decided to return the mac or not? did they give you any problems about this kind of issue? i'm noticing the same problem on my refurb mbp. i don't know if i'm being too picky since it IS a refurb machine.
    it is so annoying when i'm typing and it wobbles depending on the amount of pressure i put on the left side.

16. miloquacious thread starter macrumors member

I decided not to return it. An earlier post convinced me that it wasn't worth it since everything else about the machine is flawless. The wobble was only slight no matter which surface I put it on. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of migrating data or not having a machine for a few days. And now that I've had it for about 2 months the wobble has mostly disappeared!

17. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

the first 15"mbp i got was warped... the middle of the bottom plate was always touching the table... i showed concierge and they replaced it on the spot with no questions asked...