new MBP 15" freezes. Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarawr, Jan 29, 2011.

1. sarawr macrumors member

Hi,

I have the 2010 15" MBP 2.4 with AG screen and just the stock 5400 rpm hard drive.

it's not yet 2 weeks old and today after transferring my entire music collection to it (80GB) itunes froze up and I got the spinning beach ball and was non responsive. I waited to see if it would unfreeze but 10 minutes later it hadn't so I force quit Itunes and tried to reopen it but it wouldn't open. Lastly I thought I'd restart the computer. When doing this is showed this blue screen and had a spinning wheel (like on start up) and remained this way for 10 minutes, then the wheel went away but it remained frozen. I had to shut the computer down by holding the power button.

It seems fine now, but should I be worried about this?

This is the screen it froze on when shutting down.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad83/smbanks241/30012011333.jpg

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Any other issues? Do you have AppleCare? If so, you can get TechTool Deluxe for free which is a nice system-checker for piece of mind.

3. sarawr thread starter macrumors member

No I haven't bought Apple care as the computer is so new so with in it's one year warranty still.

4. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

A lockup like that is software related, and is only an issue if it happens again. ie, it's just annoying.

If you're really worried (which posting on this forum suggests you are) try putting in the OS install disk your computer came with, restart holding down the "c" key, and go to the utilities drop down menu. There should be some system diagnostics utility there that you can run to check your hardware.