New MBP 15" Glossy - First impressions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonlong, Jul 8, 2008.

1. jonlong macrumors newbie

I purchased my new Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz w/ a glossy screen earlier this week. I also got a 32gb ipod touch and a canon photo printer with the back to school promo.

I was very concerned about my purchase as this was going to be my first Mac and I have carefully read all of the horror stories about the problems people have been having. We have an on-campus Apple reseller, but I drove 1.5 hrs to the closest actual Apple store so that I could go back to them if I had problems, instead of mailing it back to Apple.

The first decision I struggled with is the matte vs. glossy screen. After comparing them on several occasions at the apple store I decided to go with the glossy. I was first using it at home and thought they had given me the matte on accident. Without the bright direct lights you find in the apple store, I couldn't see any reflections in my screen, even with a dark background. I have been using the laptop in several types of conditions around school, usually with overhead flourescent lighting and also sitting in front of a window during a sunny day. I couldn't be happier with my choice. The glossy screen is extremely sharp and comfortable to read.

There are no dead pixels and no yellowing of the screen whatsoever. I have tried to replicate the LED backlight problem but was unable to make it happen. The screen is very bright and evenly lit.

My lid sits perfectly flush with the lower half when closed, there is no warping at all. Trackpad and keyboard work flawlessly without any interruption in input.

My power adapter is working fine and the LED status on the magsafe works as it is supposed to.

This machine is extremely fast and is a real joy to use, and I am a very picky consumer.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Welcome to the World of Mac.

If the glossy becomes annoying, you can ofcourse buy a anti-glare screen protector and attach it to the display itself. However, IF you had gotten a matte, there's no way of converting to a glossy display without losing visual quality.

3. Fenir macrumors regular

4. DARKJ3DI macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

glossy screens are great but they get dirty very easily. I'm always cleaning my macbook screen since I can't see it through the fingerprints and dust that builds up on it!

5. crobbins macrumors 6502

Congratulations on your purchase! Getting a brand new, shiny MacBook Pro is one of the best feelings a nerd can have :)

6. jonlong thread starter macrumors newbie

It appears that I spoke too soon. I noticed that it sounds like one of my fans is always running. I assumed that this was normal until I looked at a friend's mbp. Mine is constantly audible, but doesn't sound like any grinding or any roughness.

I used the istat widget to see that my left fan is running at 2000 rpms all the time, and the right fan is reporting 0. It sounds like my right fan is running at full speed, though.

Called Apple Care and they had me try a few things, ending with Apple Hardware Test which reported something like MOT4/1/20000004: Right Side-0 or something similar. The Apple Care rep did not know what that meant and suggested I take it to a service center.

I am considering exchanging it, if the apple store will let me, but I'm afraid that I'll get stuck with something worse. This is annoying.

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

What does having a Glossy screen have anything to do with fingerprints on your screen. If you keep your fingers off it, you will not have this problem.

8. DARKJ3DI macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

I know that but somehow fingerprints get on it somehow without me touching it??????:confused::confused::confused:. I cleaned it, left it closed for the night, opened it up next morning and there were fingerprints on it!

9. Smoothie macrumors 6502

Sounds like your right fan isn't working and your left fan is trying to compensate.